Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over active let down

Question Over active let down

I have a month old daughter. She is strictly breastfed. She sleeps through the night, although I do wake up every two hours to keep her tummy full. The problem is in the daytime, she squirms away and arches her back and SCREAMS for hours at end...making it very difficult to feed her. I called the doctor and she told me to give her prune juice and mycolon drops...nothing has helped. The articles that I've read have led me to believe that it's a cross between "colic" and over active let down problems. My question is for over active let down problems, should I pump for a few minutes before offering her my breast??:confused:

Default Re: Over active let down

my son is going to be 6wks tomorrow and he goes through that also I did not pump and just kept as I was and he actually adapted but I do use mylicon when it get really bad! but your the only one who truly knows both urself and ur LO so you have to do what makes u feel comfy! an for the record ur LO sleeps through the night? my son wakes up at 3:15 like clock work every night! but he hasn't slept through yet why do u wake ur LO up if she sleeps?

Check out kellymom.com for lots of great resources. There is stuff specifically about OALD.

Here are the things that helped me:

• Lean back while nursing so gravity prevents the milk from hitting LOs throat as much.
    • When LO pulls off, let the milk spray or drip into a cloth diaper until the flow slows down.
    • Pump or express just a bit until the letdown is past. (Just be careful not to pump too much, as that will tell your breasts to make more milk, thus contributing to the problem.)

Some moms do block feeding as well. Nursing when your LO is calm and sleepy makes it easier, although you can't always do that.

Also, if your LO has regained birth weight and is gaining well, there is no need to wake her up for feedings. She will let you know when she's hungry, and you can enjoy some extra rest.

HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

The arching of the back and screaming could be a sign of reflux. Does she spit up a lot? (Not all babies with reflux do though) Does she sometime sound like she gets something caught up in her throat? Do you see her swallow sometimes when she isn't nursing? Do you ever notice sour milk breath?

It also definitely could have something to do with OALD. I have this problem, and for the short term, pumping a little before feeding can help get your daughter to start taking the breast again. I did this for a little bit and it got my son to end his nursing strike. However, it doesn't actually solve the problem, because if you pump, it just signals your breast to keep producing the same amount that they have been. So, if you choose to go that route, pump only long enough to relieve the pressure. Keep it up for a few days or so, or as long as it takes your LO to become more comfortable at the breast. Then gradually phase it out (pumping every other time, then only at the times when you are the most engorged, and then stopping completely). I would also do this in conjunction with block feeding. This has been working pretty well for me. Today was the first day that I haven't pumped at all, and my second day of 6 hour block feedings, and my LO is doing really well.
    Last edited by boudicca13; July 16th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.

The baby behavior could also be caused by allergies to something you are eating. Does your milk spray when it lets down? Do you hear LO gulping to keep up? Searching kelymom for oversupply will give you a lot of information.

if you have OALD does it mean that it happens everytime? because for the most part I see th signs wheb I feed my LO BUT if the feeds are too close together, which right now they can be due to his 6wk growth spurt, it doesn't ALWAYS happen? do I have that or no?

It will be more likely to happen the more full your breasts are. So, yup, if you don't notice it when your nursing sessions are closer together, it's probably because your breast haven't had time to fill back up all the way again.

Question Re: Over active let down

I do see a spray when I experience the let down. I hear her gulp and she backs away with milk in her mouth, which ends up on both of us and then she chokes...and then does not want to nurse anymore. She does not spit up...and no sour milk breath.

What is "block" nursing?
    Last edited by NaniBeeson; July 16th, 2007 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaniBeeson View Post
    I do see a spray when I experience the let down. I hear her gulp and she backs away with milk in her mouth, which ends up on both of us and then she chokes...and then does not want to nurse anymore. She does not spit up...and no sour milk breath.

What is "block" nursing?
    OALD will be worse when you are engorged or oversupplied (OS). Block feeding is for OS. You feed from one side for every feeding in a block. A block is usually 4-6 hours long. That leaves on breast full, signaling it to slow down milk production. At the same time the side that is being used will be more empty allowing LO to get that fatty hindmilk. Block feeding is not a solution for OALD and it will decrease your milk supply. Many moms with OALD also have OS.

Right now, I have OALD but I am not oversupplied. DD is getting bigger so she actually fusses now and does not stop fussing until milk sprays her in the face! When they are younger it is sometimes too much for them. You can do the things that Haley's mama suggested to help your LO not get sprayed. It helps if you can feel your let-down, then you can pull LO off just before getting sprayed but not everyone can anticipate let-down. When I would pull DD off and wait for the sprays to end I would let her suck on my finger, so she was still sucking... that made her less fussy.

If you think you are also oversupplied I would READ THE STICKIES IN THE TOO MUCH MILK FORUM. There is lots of useful information there.

HTH
    Last edited by noodlenerd; July 16th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Block nursing is feeding on only one side for a certain number of hours, and then switching. It helps reduce your milk supply if you have over-supply issues. This article explains it pretty well:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

You'll find the info on how to do block nursing under the paragraph entitled "Strategies to Slow Down the Rate of Milk Production"

Further down there are strategies on how do deal with overactive let-down as well.