Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working mom BF success stories needed

Unhappy Working mom BF success stories needed

Well, I have to return to work the week after next and I am having a minor nervous breakdown. DD is 6-1/2 weeks old and successfully taking breast and ebm from a bottle, with the exception of a short nursing strike about 2 weeks ago. I am going to miss her so terribly and I am literally terrified that once she is taking several bottles a day while I'm at work, she will decide she no longer wants to bother with the breast. My heart is breaking in advance! I know it does no good to worry about something that has not yet come to pass, so I'm asking for some inspiration here. Any success stories of moms who successfully went back to work and continued their bf relationship with their little ones would be Heaven sent and appreciated more than I can say.

Default Re: Working mom BF success stories needed

Hi, my dd happily takes her bottles of ebm while I'm at work but still loves to nurse when I'm home - babies love the closeness with their moms so I wouldn't worry too much, when I get home and hold my dd she immediately starts squirming to get in position ! Good luck going back

I work FT and continue to successfully BF my DD. She is almost 20 mths now and shows no signs of wanting to wean. I went back to work when she was 10 weeks old. I pumped at work so she got ebm during the day. While at home, I always nursed her directly - never used bottles in the evening or on weekends. We did perfectly fine and continue to today.

As the previous poster noted, children love the warmth of their mom and there is no substitute for that. I know many moms where I work who did the same as me and had no problems working and continuing to BF.

Best of luck!

I had to go back to work at 8 weeks and my son is now going on 8 months!! My son gets ebm and formula bottles while I"m gone and we have managed wonderfully. I too was a nervous wreck going back to work and at that time said to myself..I just want to make it for 3 months. Well..like I said DS is going to be 8 months. He still wants mommy...still wants to nurse...is happy and very healthy. We went through our phases of nursing difficulties and I though it was because he wanted the bottle so I tried it...but it was just developmental stuff...he wanted no parts of Mommy giving him a bottle when he could nurse instead. It all worked itself out. My only advice for you is if you are planning to pump while at work to make bottles for him I would add in an extra pumping session than you are used to since the pump never empties the breast as well as nursing does and I ran into a problem with milk supply. The extra session helps. And on the weekends..forget the bottles!
    I know how difficult this transition is going to be...I cried terribly the night before I returned to work...the whole drive over to the grandparents house that morning and then half the day at work. But you are not alone in this.

THere is an incredible bond when you nurse and going to work won't just take that away!

Good Luck!

I went back to work when dd was 5 weeks and started pumping then. I was ready to go back to work b/c dd was colicky and I really needed the break but 2 days into my return missed her so terribly!! I was ready to quit my job. DD nursed and took 2 bottles of ebm starting then (I return home to nurse at noon). When she was about 3 months she went on a bottle strike where she actually wouldn't take the bottle and wanted only mom--so the reverse of my fears happened. We tried different bottle and found one she liked and have been going happily ever since. I pump 2x but don't need another session unless I notice supply problems. Then I add in another session or pump in the morning after nursing, when I am overabundant. Def. ditch the bottles on teh weekend and when you are together!!!

I really notice that I value my time with dd more since I am working--I know that I have to make our time together quality and I come home from work totally refreshed and ready for whatever she has to offer (good or bad mood, etc).

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I went back to work ft when ds was 10 weeks old. I pumped and ds has always had EBM. For the longest time, the first thing he would do when he would get home is nurse. I could barely get in the door before he was huffing and puffing in anticipation of booby. To my little man, EBM has always been a pale substitute for the real thing! I agree with the other poster that I have always avoided any bottles in the evenings and on weekends.

As I said on another post...when I returned to work, I was really surprised at how happy I was to be back at my job. I actually felt guilty that I did not feel more guilty about being back at work, if that makes sense. Now, my son is 11 months old (still nursing strong) and I really think that I am a better mom because I work. The time we spend together is truly quality time. He gets my undivided attention in the evenings and on weekends and I really don't feel like I have missed anything.

Hi Cindy,

I feel like a parrot, but here I go, saying what the other moms have said. I went back to work at 8 weeks, and DS (now 7 1/2 months old) prefers breast to bottle any day. We accidentally tested this the other day--I had pumped somewhat recently and DH had a bottle of EBM ready to go, since the baby had turned it down at daycare before the 45-minute ride home. When he made his hungry face I figured I'd let them have some time together (usually DH gives a bottle at lunch and/or before the ride home but hadn't been able to that day). DS wasn't interested but started making his hungry face at me as soon as DH left the room. Yup, he wanted mama!

Your time together will be all the more precious, and you'll enjoy it. There have been a couple of threads about babies who grow to prefer the fast flow of bottles, so you might want to try and avoid nipples with large openings.

Good luck going back to work! I was just as tired that week as when I came home from the hospital, and I recommend planning on take-out and a messy house so you can spend your energy on cuddling.

Hi Cindy,
    One tip from a lesson that I learned - always use only a slow flow nipple on the bottles. When I used the slow flow nipples, my ds would be so excited to see me come home, and would just nurse, nurse and nurse when I got back from work!! Also, my little one started to wean when I started the gerber nuk latex nipples. Then I had to go cold turkey on the bottles to get him back to breast. I have a friend that used the playtex bottles where the baby has to suck to get the milk from the bottle and that worked very well for her even later on when she switched to stage 2 playtex nipples. Her ds always preferred her to the bottles when she was home. Other than that, you should do fine!
    Good luck!

I work part-time and have with both of my daughters. EBM in a bottle is what we do at daycare. After a nine hour day at daycare, there is nothing that my baby wants more than to nurse. It's a time to reconnect and cherish the special bond we have because of the nursing. Good Luck!

Thank you all so much for sharing your successes with me. They give me hope, if not the desire to go back to work. I especially appreciate the tips a few of you posted. They have inspired me tobegin a new thread asking for a few more.

Thank you all, again!