Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruity Smell and Other Issues

Default Fruity Smell and Other Issues

This afternoon when I changed Haley's diaper, her poo smelled ... sort of fruity. I noticed her breath smelled fruity too. My first thought was the fruity smell that diabetic people have when something's "off" for them, but I figured that was a bit of an overreaction. I figured maybe it was just all the fruit juice I drink getting into the milk. (Do you thinK?)

But then just now I changed the FOURTH poopy diaper of the day (she usually has 2, maybe 3, but not 4). The poo was greenish and sort of stringy (is that what you'd consider mucousy?).

I've also thought several times throughout the day that she feels a little warmer than usual. (I have not taken her temperature.)

She's otherwise acting totally normal. She spent the last half hour at one of her favorite pasttimes, kicking me in the boob. She's been her usual mix of smiley and fussy.

So, what do you think is going on? Could she be sick? Teething? (So early? She's a little over 11 weeks.) Something else?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: Fruity Smell and Other Issues

[QUOTE=She's otherwise acting totally normal. She spent the last half hour at one of her favorite pasttimes, kicking me in the boob.[/QUOTE]

I cant offer any advice cause I'm laughing too hard
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

fruity smelling breath can be a sign of diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by wrappedupnu View Post
    fruity smelling breath can be a sign of diabetes.
    I know. But I think it's a little early to worry about that so I'm trying not to let that bother me just yet.

i had gestational diabetes 2 times it was the first thing that came to mind

Uh... I think it is probably something that you ate. Anything new? Maybe it is the Tide working its way out of her system.

I might take her temp just to feel safe - if you think she is warmer she probably is. And then just keep an eye on her. I bet by tomorrow she will not be so fruity.

Quote Originally Posted by wrappedupnu View Post
    i had gestational diabetes 2 times it was the first thing that came to mind
    It was the first thing I thought, too. I had a childhood friend who had diabetes, and I'll never forget that smell. Haley's fruity smell isn't really the same kind of fruity, but it's still the first thing I thought of. But I'd rather not even consider it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Uh... I think it is probably something that you ate. Anything new? Maybe it is the Tide working its way out of her system.

I might take her temp just to feel safe - if you think she is warmer she probably is. And then just keep an eye on her. I bet by tomorrow she will not be so fruity.
    Well, I drink a lot of fruit juice. And I'm wondering if I just drank more than usual or something and it's running through her. Or maybe I had more (hidden) dairy than I thought? I didn't eat anything new per se, but it's still possible that it was something I had for dinner last night (corn, gravy, beef ...).

I took her temp, sort of (it didn't go so well), and it did not appear to be abnormal. Plus, she felt cooler as the day went on, so I think maybe the warmth was just from all the kicking she's been doing. (She is going to be a karate kid, I think.)

But we had some major trouble tonight. She started getting fussy around 4:30, and by 5:30 she was screaming and screaming and screaming. It really sounded like she was in pain, and because of the mucousy poop, I'm starting to think maybe the screaming was gas or belly pain. I got her ready for bed, and by the time I had her calmed down she was gulping and hiccupping and kept stopping nursing to cry some more. She fell asleep, I put her down, she woke up screaming. We took turns with her, and she finally settled when she was flat on her back on our bed. We did lots of rubbing and soothing and I finally rocked her back to sleep and put her down. But it was misery for a couple hours, and now I'm beat. Something is obviously bothering her. I'm just hoping it was a temporary thing and not something that's gonna last. If it's not one thing, it's another, eh?

She'll give you a break - - - in about 25 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    She'll give you a break - - - in about 25 years!!!
    Probably not even then.

Gretchen, what kind of fruit juice do you drink?? do you drink it a lot? I read that citrus juices can cause that kind of reaction in a baby with the poop issues (who doesnt have poop issues ) and the gassiness...i'll see if I can find a link for somewhere...

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!