Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about block feeding

Default Confused about block feeding

I thought I would start doing 6 hour block feedings, but I am a little confused as to how to count the blocks. Do I go strictly by the clock? So, let's say I start the clock when my LO nurses at 11 pm. That would mean the 6 hour block would last until 5 am. My LO eats again from the same side at 3 am. 5 am comes and goes, and the little guy doesn't actually want to eat again until 8:30 am (and of course, I switch sides). Do I end the feeding block at 10 am (counting from 5 am), or do I start counting the second block at 8:30, which would mean that he should eat from the same side until 2:30pm?

I hope I am making sense.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Confused about block feeding

I believe you strictly go by the clock - that's what I've always done. That is, if you're doing 6 hr blocks (I had to do this at first to calm my oversupply)

11p - 5a Right
    5a - 11a Left
    11a - 5p Right
    5p - 11p Left
    and so on

You'll know it works when you no longer feel so full all the time. Good Luck!

I am not a strict by the rules type of person. I generally used 6 hour blocks but I basically fed DD on one side until that side was pretty empty and floppy and the other side was ready to burst, then I switched sides. The idea is to leave one breast full, which will signal it to slow down production and let LO feast on the other side so that baby gets the hindmilk. You may find that after a few days 6 hour blocks leaving you feeling very empty - that is why it is a little easier to go by how your breasts feel. If you aren't confident judging when to switch then you are definitely safe using strict times - I just could never remember when I fed last, so checking how full each breast was turned out to be easier for me. Good Luck!

Thank you! I think I will go by the clock for a couple of days, and then go by feel to make sure that I don't overdo it. I don't want it to work too well!