Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing in public

Default Nursing in public

My daughter is 3 weeks old. I've been using a breastshield ever since the beginning due to very flat nipples and she's only had about 2 bottles since birth. My first question is, is there a chance I will ever get her off of the shield all together?

Secondly, I have a 2 year old and when I am in public I find it very hard to nurse for several reasons...

1. I am still having to run after my toddler
    2. I cannot find a way to be discreet enough. I have received many comments and looks and it is almost as if people think breastfeeding is gross. How do you handle breastfeeding in public? Is there a sling you recommend or a position? Also,with me having to put on the shield it draws even more attention.

I hope to receive an answer soon. I'm almost afraid to go out anymore because of it.

Default Re: Nursing in public

My daughter is 3 weeks old. I've been using a breastshield ever since the beginning due to very flat nipples and she's only had about 2 bottles since birth. My first question is, is there a chance I will ever get her off of the shield all together?
    I've never used a shield, so I'n not a lot of help here, but I do know that some people love them, others, well, not so much. Most are able to eventually wean off the shield. I'm sure someone else will be along to help more with this.

Secondly, I have a 2 year old and when I am in public I find it very hard to nurse for several reasons...

1. I am still having to run after my toddler
    2. I cannot find a way to be discreet enough. I have received many comments and looks and it is almost as if people think breastfeeding is gross. How do you handle breastfeeding in public? Is there a sling you recommend or a position? Also,with me having to put on the shield it draws even more attention.
    1. Maybe you can carry a goodie bag with a few things for your toddler to play with while you nurse. Maybe a couple healthy snacks, some crayons . . .
    2. I strongly suggest a ring sling. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to discreetly nurse in public WHILE chasing after your toddler!

Your doing a great job! It does get easier!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Can't help with the nipple shield. I only used it twice and then decided we were just going to figure things out without it.

As for NIP, I recently posted about the first time I did it using a sling. It was way easier than I thought it would be. I didn't practice first (pretty dumb!), but it went just fine, and I was walking around a plant nursery, picking up plants and otherwise shopping. Haley was just all snuggled into the sling, nursing away, and no one was the wiser. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. It can take a while to learn to use the sling, and your LO might take a while to get used to it (some babies fuss in the slings at first), but if you keep at it, pretty soon it will become an invaluable tool!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Could you tell me which brands of slings are best? I'm looking for one that is good with hot weather and nursing in public.

Thanks!

Gauze is nice for summer and smaller babies. A woven fabric is cool and good for bigger babies. And solarveil is cooler too.

Everyone has different preferences for types of carriers. I like my OTSBH sling, but it has padded rails and is too hot for summer. My New Native carrier is much cooler, but I don't find it very comfortable because it hangs too low.

Check out the babywearing section of the forum. There's lots of great info there and a "critique your carrier" thread. I think you'll get some good suggestions there.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I couldn't live with out my Huggababy...

http://www.huggababy.co.uk

Havent tried using it really hot weather yet but is fine for a normal summer day.

And great for feeding, though might be a bit tricky with a really small bub. Ashley was 8 pound 6 when born but still got a little 'lost' in the Hugga until about a month. And yes, practice makes perfect! I know the more nervous and fumbly I am the harder it is too get him to latch on, and the more attention I attract to myself...
    If only I could work out how to cover the INCREDIBLY loud slurps, gurgles and sucks he makes when drinking.It LOOKS discrete , but sounds like feeding time at the zoo....
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.