Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: single-sided breastfeeding - pls advise

Default single-sided breastfeeding - pls advise

Hi all!! I have a 1-week old son and he's been feeding well but I've noticed that in the last 2 days he's been feeding only on 1 side (10 to 15 minutes) and then becomes too sleepy for the other breast. I have stripped him down and have even tried to change his diaper again to wake him up but nothing seems to work. He's not fussy and is usually sleeping past the 3 hour mark if I don't wake him up. Is he getting enough to eat? Should I limit the number of minutes on the first breast to make sure that both breasts are being utilized? Is he not too young to feeding from only one side? My 2nd breast is engorged in the last 2 days so will this disappear and will the milk supply decrease if I don't use that breast?

Default Re: single-sided breastfeeding - pls advise

hi there! congrats on your new baby.
    here is what I do.
    My son nurses from one breast each feeding. He has done this from the beginning and it has worked well for us. I just make sure and alternate each time. Eventually your body will become in tune with this feeding pattern and the side you are not nursing on will no longer be engorged, as long as you keep alternating!! You can pump if you want, and that would be a good way to get a freezer stash going if you plan to have one, but if you keep pumping your body will keep producing. So if you continue to only use one breast at a time and pump, you will probably keep getting full.
    We are six months into our nursing relationship and I rarely get engorged any more. My body is now producing on a supply and demad type schedule. He now usually eats from 5-10 minutes on one breast and is satisfied. Oh and his weight has never been an issue is 18.5 lbs at 6 months!!
    So if it something you are comfortable doing, I say do it. I havent had any problems. But it is up to you. Your body will regulate, if will just take a little time.
    Good luck!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Yeah, what Heather said.

(I Heather. She should head up the Welcome Wagon.)

As long as your LO is gaining well, has good diaper output, and seems satisfied, you're just fine nursing on just one breast. Just make sure to alternate which side you start on, and your supply will adjust accordingly. Haley almost always limits herself to one breast at a time. (If she doesn't, she often ends up spitting up!)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

dude I am the welcome wagon, thanks to constantly clicking on 'new posts'!!

and I agree with Gretchen.
    It sounds like you are doing a great job caitlin&jacob'smom. Hang in there. Things will get better!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I agree - my LO is 5 weeks and only sometimes takes more than one breast. I keep a rubber hairband around my wrist to remind of which side to start on.

Now if I can only remember to switch it when feeding!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

You're actually better off letting your baby one nurse on one side then switching before he's comes off the first breast on his own. That way you know he's getting the higher calorie/higher fat hindmilk. My son nursed only on one side for most of his life so far as well.

Watch the diapers- you want 6-8 wet per day at least. And if he's gaining weight and looks and acts healthy then you don't have to worry!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807