Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple hurts/burns

Default nipple hurts/burns

I have one nipple that has been hurting / burning the last couple of weeks. Sometimes the very tip turns white after she is done bf'ing. Also my nipple stays red and hurts all the time! I know I have an OALD and my baby girl did have a "tongue tie" (had it fixed wed.). So we have been having some problems is there any thing I can do besides taking tylenol or advil for this? Today I also started warm packs on it to make it feel a little better. Sometimes I think I may also have a clogged duct on that side because every now and then I get a lump but I work it out. Thanks any input is appreciated! BTW I have a 7 wk. old

Default Re: nipple hurts/burns

It could be thrush. Burning, breast pain when not nursing, bright red nipples are all thrush signs. Kellymom has tons of thrush information. HERE

Also, she may be having problems latching corectly to that one side. And HERE is what kellymom says about sore nipples and latch.

I second the pp.. let us know if you have any ? after you check out thoose links.

I think the problem might be a latch problem...since she just had her tongue (frenulum) snipped last week. She is still getting used to moving her "new" tongue. I will call my lactation nurse on monday and see if she can help. Also I think i will try the vitamin b6 thing w/ it. Thanks I just sometimes feel like giving up on bf'ing but I know how important this is to her and of course she doesn't take a bottle very well (will need to work on this more too)