Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can breast milk burn baby's face

Default Can breast milk burn baby's face

I was told my my friend's mom not to let my milk drop on the baby's face as it can burn her. The reason she gave is that the milk is coming from my body and has my inner temperature.
    Is this true that the milk could burn her face?

Default Re: Can breast milk burn baby's face

One of the great things about breastfeeding is that the milk is always the perfect temperature for baby -- never too hot or too cold. You don't have to worry about your milk burning baby's skin or mouth.

Those of us with OALD have practically bathed our babies in breast milk at times--it just gets a little sticky.

My LO has Very senstive skin and I spray milk all over her all the time and she has never shown any signs of burning. If it were that hot it would burn you too. Also, my LO's doc had me squirt it into her eye directly form the breast because she has a clogged tear duct and an infection early on. It healed it up right away! There is a thread on great uses for breastmilk...let me see if I can find it. I can't find it right now but I will keep looking. Other uses included - squirting breastmilk up your LO's nose for a stuffy nose (tried it and Yes it works better than any spray the doc gave us).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Absolutely false! Breastmilk is body temperature, the same temperature as blood. No way could it burn baby. As someone else said, about the only harm that could come from milk dripping on baby is a sticky chin.

HTH!

Dr. Sears even recommends putting a few drops up baby's nose to help clear a stuffy nose. Sometimes people give terrible advice. It won't burn the baby!!!

When my DS was a newborn he had a clogged tear duct and my friend from costa rica said to put milk in his eye (supposedly they do that there) and it did work! Nice to hear others confirm what I was tetlling people. Neat about the stuffy nose too!
    Cool stuff!

ahhh
    thank you so much for your feedback.
    so many old wives tales.
    i love my friends mom to death. but she also told me i'm going to get diabetes from having had two c-sections
    gotta love her.

i'm also quite relieved

Quote Originally Posted by bello View Post
    ahhh
    thank you so much for your feedback.
    so many old wives tales.
    i love my friends mom to death. but she also told me i'm going to get diabetes from having had two c-sections
    gotta love her.
    Sounds like she'd be fun to have telling stories at a party!