Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Standing up to BF???

Default Standing up to BF???

Hi all!
    So a while ago I posted about having an "on-off-on-off baby at the breast". I don't know where I got the idea to do this but I have started nursing him while walking around so that he can't kick the side of the chair and push himself away which is another little thing he likes to do.
    Now the silly boy wont nurse (durring the day) unless he is "on the move". It's almost like he needs to have some visual stimulation (other than looking at the chair) in order to nurse.
    On the bright side he nurses like a champ and it has decreased my anxiety about him eating enough.
    Its just funny though because now I walk around the house with my shirt hiked up and a baby attached to my breast his legs kicking and he is just happier than a pig in you know what!
    Anyone else have a LO that likes to eat on the move? I just thought this was kind of funny and would share!

Default Re: Standing up to BF???

I read about "nursing on the move" either in a Dr. Sears book, or on their website - said it could help calm a fussy baby. Sounds like your LO likes to be active!

How much does he weigh, just curious - my LO is 12 pounds at 5 weeks and I find carrying him around making my upper back muscles ache. I sure hope the muscles strengthen soon.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

He is almost 4 months. W haven't had an official weigh in since his 2 month check up. But when I weigh him on the scale here at home he is about 13 pounds. He is my long and lean banana baby!
    I can imagine your back is killing you! All that up and down lifting is killer some days! For me its my lower back. Some days I understand what it must feel like to be 80 years old LOL!

I was worried about low back pain before I become pregnant - I had spine surgery 7 years ago. I guess I learned the proper way to lift and stuff, I am very careful of my low back. Maybe that's why my upper back hurts...

I am SO glad my low back is fine. It didn't even bother me when pregnant. I count my blessings.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

lol - i just had to tell you that there is another lady on here who's lo would only nurse if she stood up, walked around and let her lo flip the light switch on and off while nursing!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

right before my LO sleeps for the night she gets a little fussy and I've found that feeding her while I stand and/or walk around helps her to calm down, eat and fall asleep. She's only 12 lbs but if I'm really tired that night, I'll use my breastfriend pillow. I tried doing it during the day to help her take a nap but she's too interested in all the different sights. I thought I was the only mom who had to stand to nurse. It's so comforting to know we're not standing alone.

Another one here who's LO needs to be nursed on the move... It's the only way i can keep my boob in his mouth sometimes!

How cute! My husband starting watching DD during the day while I'm at work (he teaches - has the summer off) and he found that early on the only way she'd take a bottle from him was if he was walking around.

So for that first two weeks - I ALSO had to walk around while feeding her when I got home. Cracked me up and I have to admit I was THRILLED when they finally found their groove and he could feed her sitting down!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKat View Post
    I read about "nursing on the move" either in a Dr. Sears book, or on their website - said it could help calm a fussy baby.
    Yep, it's Dr. Sears in The Baby Book. I too have had to be on the move at times, but not because Haley prefers it, only because I've either been shopping or needed to let the very impatient dog out while Haley was latched on.

Have you ladies tried using a sling or other carrier for all the moving around? Maybe you're already doing that, but if not, it might help distribute your LO's weight better so your backs and arms hurt less.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Nursing on the move is the only way that I can get DD to stay latched some days. She is almost 15 lbs (and I am very small) and it kills my back. In fact, I bought this huge ice pack that I lay on when I go to bed!!!

I think trying to nurse ina sling is a good idea! I haven't done that yet.