Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked Nipple/Clogged Ducts

Default Re: Thrush = Constant Clogged Ducts?

Hello everybody,
    this is my first time here.

My almost 3 months old is my third kid, he has brought lots of adventures... the last one is that my nipple on my left breast is cracked, due to a clogged duct some time ago, since then I can't get it to heal therefore I continue to get clogged ducts almost every week and my nipple hurts every week. I am desperate.

I will very very much appreciate if someone can help me, please!!!

for what you say, it will be very difficult to get rid of this pain in my nipple?
    I have had it coming and going since a clogged duct made my baby hurt me.
    i am desperate, what can I do?

Welcome, Lizzi! I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain. I have a few questions to help clarify your situation:

How long have you had the crack? Where is the crack on your nipple? You mention the crack came after a clogged duct, correct? Do you experience the clog in the same location? And could you explain how to clog made your baby hurt you?

Jolie,
    i answered some time ago but for some reason it didn't posted.
    The first time my ducts got clogged I had this injury, it has been around a month and a half now.
    The clog is always in the same location, it continue coming and coming no matter what I do.
    I believe that every time my ducts get clogged this injury hurts again.
    It is like a bleb, you can see the white dot in my nipple, so I put olive oil and clean it and it gets better but then when my ducts get clogged it appears again and there we go... once more....
    As of now I am cleaning every time the baby eats, putting olive oil, avoiding sugars and changing my diet, everything I have read about but I am desperate! Help please.....

Default Re: Cracked Nipple/Clogged Ducts

kelly moms has some good info on healing cracks...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

some mothers swear by that apno that's in the link.
    Is it just your nipple or do you have breast pain also?
    That could be thrush, that can take a long time to heal and complicate healing.

check out this info and see what you think
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

thank you Andrea
    I am so desperate and getting scared I will check this site, thank you for the support

Try some lansinoh lanolin everytime you nurse, shower, whatever. put lots and lots and lots on.
    try using lots of different positions when nursing. change it up. that helped me avoid clogged ducts. changing positions makes sure that all of the ducts are getting emptied. if you can stand it, try to pump for 5-10 minutes after nursing - to empty your breasts...

Lizzi - hope you're doing better... I just responded to a similar post - I've had recurring plugged docts b/c of thrush (I've had it for 4 months now...I have it under control, but still some resistant strains that won't seem to go away). The blebs constantly reappared and it was almost a biweekly battle

Kellymom is a great site... if you have thrush though, do NOT use Lansinoh creme b/c yeast will thrive in it...

A couple of things you can try:
    1) put uncooked rice into a ziploc bag. Put it in the microwave for a minute and warm it against your breast (if you put it in a light towel you can even stuff it in your bra so you don't burn yourself) It's better than a moist towel as a compress

2) hop in the shower and little hot water pound on you for 10 minutes before nursing (if you have your LO on a schedule you know what time otherwise just "guestimate" when your LO will eat

3) Don't forget to take Lecithin (it acts as an emulsifier) and try not to eat fatty things.

For cracks, the APNO cream as well as Olive oil works great! Another cream to try is made by Motherlove - can be found at Henry's or other natural health stores.

Hope this helps!

Drew's in need of a nap, so forgive me for this quick response lol

First off, I feel your pain... did the bleb thing for so long I thought nursing wouldn't last... Drew is gonna be a year on Sat and has no clue that a bottle isn't a teether!! The women here gave him incredible advice... my two cents is to try the salt soaks before you nurse and if you hurt that bad, try pumping the sore side. I had to do that on and off for a while myself. I swear it gets better! And forgive me if you have, or if someone already said it, but make sure you are seen by someone in the medical field, from a doc to a lactation consultant ( who's breastfed... don't rely on the book taught ones lol They never, ever saw my bleb!!!!!!! ) I say that because the last thing you want is an infection that could harbor your nursing success!! And support that everything ok is always nice as well! Good luck and hang in there honey!