Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I improve weight gain

Default How can I improve weight gain

My little man is 11 weeks old (tomarrow) and we are having issues.
    I had him 37 weeks 3 days due to a partial placenta abruption, his lung collapsed at 30 hours old, he was in the NICU for a week, (transported via helicopter from out hospital at 35 hours old-5 hours to stabilize him). He got to start nursing for the first time in the NICU at a week old. His latch was never great as he liked to nipple nurse. His tounge was a bit tounge tied, but our Dr locally worked with us on that and the LLL helped alot. We got thrush, then mastitis, then thrush again. Ok, that is all cleared up. The mastitis seemed to have made a huge dip in my milk supply. He wasn't getting enough wet diapers-only 2 too 5 a day. I supplemented with frozen milk from our stay in the NICU, worked with the LLL and got him back up to 6 wet diapers a day. Had his 2 month check-up. We have a very pro BFing Dr who said he looked great, gained some, grew some and is smiling and occasionally cooing. He was 8pds 2oz and 21 inches at birth, at 2 months he was 9pds 8oz and 22 inches. The dr was pleased. I thought it could have been better gain! LOL!
    My milk supply issuse poked up again with a few days of less wets, lots of BFing, drinking liquids and resting and it went back up, I think it's up to stay as he is now doing well over six wets a day for over a week (this is my 4th child and I've never had suplly issuse before other then oversupply! LOL). But I really want to see some better gain in him. He is wetting enough now, pooing every few days, but he is skinny. My others at 3 months were nie and filled out but still small on the charts, they looked good. This little man looks like a newborn with skinny wrinkley legs and arms, not filled out in the tummy either. His weight gain at our home scale (weight me, then him and me) shows him bouncing from 8pds 14oz and 9 pds 12oz, mostly 9 too mid 9's, but I want to see him up in the 10's. So it's not great. His Dr wasn't worried at his 2 month app, but I can't help but worry. 2 of his siblings have a gentic condition were they have trouble digesting sugars, but dispite this they always gained slow but ok on exclusively BFing. I was tandum nursing my almost 2 year old and the newest one, but cut my almost 2 year old back too once a week to make sure my newest one is getting enough. His latch is better now, he likes letdown, then gets frustrated after the formilk is gone and after pushing and pulling against my breast he quits, he goes off of both sides per feeding, around 7 too 10 minutes of nursing afterwards he is content for 4 hours before he gives hunger cues, longer then 4 hours (except at night) I encourage him to nurse at any squeak bc sometimes he just forgets he should be hungrey. If his output is good now then his input must be good now, but how can I get him to gain more?
    Thanks!
    -Lisa
    DD Abby 6
    DS Joshua 4
    DS James 2 on Aug. 1st
    DS Toby 11 weeks

Default Re: How can I improve weight gain

Wow, you've been thru a lot! Congrats for having weathered thru.

Here's a link I found helpful: "How might I increase baby's weight gain?" at:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

HTH.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Thanks! I have been tring alot of those ideas. I can see his nursing pattern described in one paragraph when they talk about the infant who enjoys the foremilk, gets frustrated after letdown and quits, goes tot he otherside, takes the foremilk and doesn't want to work for the hind milk-my last one did that alot too. Yesterday I got him to nurse for a long time once without getting frustrated and quitting early. It's tough bc he just gets so mad after all the milk lets down and just doesn't want to stay on.

Have you tried breast compressions?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Yep, I used them alot in the begaining.