Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of Different Concerns

Question Lots of Different Concerns

Hello, I am new to this bf thing and having lots of different problems. My lo in 9 days old.
    1.) He has to be woken up for almost every feeding.
    2.) He has to be constantly stimulated to stay awake during feedings, sometimes there is nothing I can do to keep him awake.
    3.) He is only having 3 or so small bm a day, although he has alot of wet diapers.
    4.) I can only get him to nurse for a max of 10 minutes per side and that is with alot of stimulation.
    5.) It is very painful when he firsts latches on but after a few sucks there is no pain just a tugging sensation, is this normal or is he not latching properly?

He is alert and not fussy for periods 15 - 30 minutes, but he usually falls back to sleep quickly. I know I have plenty of milk because sometimes when I pull him off the breast when he passess out he has alot of milk still in his mouth and he swallows alot during feedings.
    Are all these problems normal or do I need to get in touch with his doctor or the lactation aid at the hospital?
    Thank you so much for your help!

Default Re: Lots of Different Concerns

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you are doing great with your new baby! I know it can be a little confusing because you can't tell how much they are eating, but if your baby is having 5-6 wet diapers and at least one poopy one per day he is getting enough.

It is pretty common to have problems keeping lo awake during feedings in the beginning- I know my lo would fall asleep almost as soon as she latched on, just be persistent with trying to wake them to feed and keep them awake. I used tickling her feet, blowing gently in her face (this one almost always worked to get her to suck), taking her clothes off, etc. Sometimes I'd have to try all kinds of different things for each feeding.

I'm not sure about the timing and the latch questions, maybe someone else can chime in on that. My guess about the pain would be that your nipple may not be getting deep enough in his mouth, but as he sucks he pulls it in deeper(?). You could try 'scissoring' your areola between two fingers as you push it into his mouth to get it further in and see if that helps.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Concerns 1-3 sound familiar! Sounds like that's all ok. Try tickling her nose & the nape of her neck too. #4-sounds like she's getting enough b/c of diapers. If you are feeding 12x/day, you're probably good.

#5-sounds like a latch issue. Try another position for baby. Your hospital probably has a lactation consultant you can speak with via the phone. Baby's lips need to look like kissing fish when latched...over whole areola (I know...impossible).

a lot of the questions you have are very normal concerns of a new mom. trust me i was worried about the same things!! Let me see if I can help you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by megan.clinton View Post
    Hello, I am new to this bf thing and having lots of different problems. My lo in 9 days old.
    1.) He has to be woken up for almost every feeding.
    For the most part this is very common for a newborn. As long as you are waking him to eat every 2-4 hrs during the day, and at least every 4-5 hours at night you should be fine.

2.) He has to be constantly stimulated to stay awake during feedings, sometimes there is nothing I can do to keep him awake.
    what kinds of things are you doing for stimulation?
    wet warm cloth, stripping him down to his diaper, skin-to skin contact with you, tickling his feet??

3.) He is only having 3 or so small bm a day, although he has alot of wet diapers.
    that is good at this age. 3-4 poopy diapers are what you want.

4.) I can only get him to nurse for a max of 10 minutes per side and that is with alot of stimulation.
    Honestly, my son was never one of those babies who nursed for 30 min-1hr. So I cant really advise on that, because thats how my son nursed from day one, and he has had no weight issues to speak of.
    What was your sons birth weight? did he have a check up a week later?? how did he lose/gain??

5.) It is very painful when he firsts latches on but after a few sucks there is no pain just a tugging sensation, is this normal or is he not latching properly?
    this is also very normal. Your breasts are still getting used to being used like they are. In the next few weeks it should be so painful. Your nipples are probably still very sore at this stage in the game, but they will get used to it. I think as long as it goes away after a few seconds there is no problem, but like I said, eventually there will be no pain it just takes time!!

here is a very helpful article from kellymom.com (great resource for any ?'s you might have as well as LLL!)it talks about how often you should be nursing at this age, what kind of diaper output to expect, how you can expect yoru breasts to change in the first 6 weeks,and it has links for tips to wake a sleepy baby!!

He is alert and not fussy for periods 15 - 30 minutes, but he usually falls back to sleep quickly. I know I have plenty of milk because sometimes when I pull him off the breast when he passess out he has alot of milk still in his mouth and he swallows alot during feedings.
    Are all these problems normal or do I need to get in touch with his doctor or the lactation aid at the hospital?
    Thank you so much for your help!
    hang in there!! it sounds like you are doing a great job! you should stick around the site, these ladies are a wonderful help, and always know some great resources.
    Good luck!!! and congrats on your baby

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!