Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to supplement :(

Default Need to supplement :(

My LO gets expressed breastmilk while I'm a work then at night I normally bf her. But for the last couple of nights she has started to cry when I put her down in the crib and doesn't fall asleep or stop fussing until I give her a bottle. I know she's starting to teeth so I'm not sure if it's that or if she in fact is needing more milk b/c she's ready for solids. I've heard that when a baby doesn't seem satisfied after 32 ounces a day, it's a sign that they are ready for solids?

Default Re: Need to supplement :(

How old is your baby?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

When babies start teething they often want to nurse more. You release a hormone called Oxytocin in your milk which acts as a pain killer for babies. Breastfeeding is more than just nutritional, and your baby could just want more mama time; when we hurt or feel bad, we want our mama.

You could try offering the breast while laying down on your side, just for comfort. I realize you need to sleep but obviously your mommy alarm is going off so that you feel something isn't right. Am I correct? During periods of teething and developmental milestones, sleeping schedules are normally disrupted temporarily, and it sounds like this might be the case. What is your baby up to these days? Any new activities or childcare issues? Like the previous poster asked, What is the age of your child?

Quote Originally Posted by 07mommy View Post
    My LO gets expressed breastmilk while I'm a work then at night I normally bf her. But for the last couple of nights she has started to cry when I put her down in the crib and doesn't fall asleep or stop fussing until I give her a bottle. I know she's starting to teeth so I'm not sure if it's that or if she in fact is needing more milk b/c she's ready for solids. I've heard that when a baby doesn't seem satisfied after 32 ounces a day, it's a sign that they are ready for solids?
    I am going through the same thing. It seems that after her 7:30 feed, she is hungry an hour later when we put her down for bed and screams and screams. She has also had a low grade temp off and on since Sunday and I am pretty sure she is teething. We gave her a couple ounces of formula last night to calm her. Hopefully this passes. Good luck to you!

My LO will be turning 6 months in a couple of weeks. I don't mind nursing her more, but what she's doing the last feed is popping off and on and getting fussy as if she wants more, which forces me to resort to formula.

How often has she done this? have you checked for a fever, pulling on the ears? Do you ever use anything to relieve pain (tylonal, teething tablets, or whatever you choose).
    I just know from my own experience, that formula doesnt help them sleep. I was feeling pretty desperate one night and I tried to give my son formula. He hardly ate any. And he didnt sleep any longer. Maybe your LO is going through a growth spurt. Im told there is one around 6 months. If that is the case then they will be wanting to nurse/eat more.
    Im sorry I dont have a definitive answer. I just wanted to throw a couple ideas out there.
    Good luck

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Wink Re: Need to supplement :(

Quote Originally Posted by 07mommy View Post
    as far as the solids... that is what I heard and I followed through with that rule with my daughter! I gave her the rice cereal and it actually helped her a lot at night! I am not sure if you want to try that just at nighttime but that's when I did only once a day and it helped a lot I personally would try that before formula but ur her mama and you know her best! good luck, I wish u a ton of luck!

Bottles are sooo dangerous if you intend to keep breastfeeding, I've learned that the hard way -- nipple confusion is very real!

I've had to supplement since baby's birth (he was given bottles in the NICU and developed an immediate nipple preference..) -- there are two bottles that are "better" than others, in my opinion. If I could do things over, I'd alternate between these two to avoid a preference to either!

1) The Podee baby feeder -- this is a bottle with a straw between the bottle and nipple. That means baby has to WORK for food, as at the breast. It still uses a bottle nipple (I used preemie nipples for the slowest flow possible). Babies R Us carries these bottles, as does amazon.com. Using this bottle was how I got my son to nurse at night!!! (He still refused during the day)www.podee.com

2) The Adiri "nurser bottle" -- it's shaped like a breast! I'm using this now when I'm empty and he needs to fill his belly (with formula, until I can make enough milk -- hopefully that will be very soon now that I'm using the SNS!) This bottle is only available online that I'm aware of -- www.adiri.com

Good luck!

Nipple confusion is not an issues for us, since I nurse her during the weekends and she's fine. It's just during the night feedings that she seems to want more after done nursing. She almost 6 now. Since my supply is the lowest at night, I'm guessing it's not enough to satisfy her.

One last suggestion -- for a few days, wake up to pump during the night to stimulate better production during the night. It shouldn't take long to ramp up.