Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not sure what to do

Default not sure what to do

Hi
    I'm sure some of you know about me trying to increase my milk supply. Well I'm getting tired of it. It is not happening too fast. I still pump 3-4 times per day and offer DS the breast, but's hard when your LO wants nothing to do with it. I can nurse him very well in the morning, but it's only a matter of time until he refuses this one too, which he has before. I really don't think he's taking in much for that feed either. He is getting leaner and I'm not sure if it's because he's not fed enough or if it's his reflux. I'm not sure anymore if I should still try to increase my milk supply. This is really hard on me. My DH asked me when I was going to give up last night and I told him I wasn't ready yet. I'm not getting any support from him anymore. I feel like I'm failing and don't know what to do. Sorry for all the babbling but I need help make this descision. TIA

Default Re: not sure what to do

I'm not familiar with your situation, but I did want you to know that you can find support here.

How are things today? Better?

How frequently is your baby nursing? How frequently are you pumping? What things are you trying to increase supply? Is your baby having plenty of wet and poopie diapers?

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. This is where it all started, about 2 months ago I was in the process of weaning DS off the breast, I started feeling guilty taking him away from the best thing I could give him. I descided to start building my milk up again. Since I've been trying to put DS to the beast every feed but he'll only latch for a few seconds. The only feed of the day I have no problem with is the morning feed which he is very efficient. He's done within 10 min. For all the other times I pump for 15-20 mins. I can ony accumulate approx 4oz in all those pumps. He feeds 4-5 time/day (5 if he wakes in middle of the night which he bfeed very well too) I also take "More Milk Plus" 1 cap 4 times/day. My let down is also very slow, along with the flow compared to what it used to be. I suppose that has to do with low supply. With that said I was about to give up a few days ago after my DH did a suggestion that I stop.
    I have been reading a few other posts, which gave me an ID to try ans SNS. Would it be worth giving it a try. My DS is already 6 months old (on the 14th)
    So my real question is is it too late. I don't want to be doing this if it's not gonna work. Been trying for 2 months.
    Last edited by miguel's mom; May 9th, 2006 at 05:56 AM.

Well DS would not nurse this morning. This is really hard on me, I can't stand this anymore. I pumped to only get 2 1/2 oz. Sounds pathetic, especially when I haven't pumped for over 12 hrs as DS sleeps through.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time...I know pumping can be a pain in the butt.

I know exactly how you feel!! I've had issues from the start (jaundiced baby, thrush, reflux, poor weight gain, my own issues - back problems, etc) which have all contributed to an over all poor supply. Around her one month mark she started loosing weight and was dehydrated, so I HAD to start supplementing with a higher calorie formula, all the while pumping after each feeding to help boost things. It was horrible. ALL DAY LONG I was either pumping, feeding, or cleaning pump parts, because as soon as I finished one session it was on to another. At one point I realized it had been 4 hours since I checked her diaper!

I've reconciled with myself about the fact that there needs to be a healthy balance. I had a hard time letting her spend the day in her swing while I pumped. She never got tummy time, she never got to play with her linkadoos, and we never got to just sit and cuddle and stare at each and have quality time. Now I nurse to the best of my ability and the rest I supplement with. That's the way it is, and I'm Ok with it. It gets better each day. Every day that I get to watch her smile while we play on the floor instead of pumping makes it worth it. I understand the importance of breastfeeding, but for me it was all consuming and it was taking over my life. I was stressed about the next pumping session, how much I was getting, how much she was getting, how many wet diapers she had, etc etc. My lactation consultant also pointed out that the stress of trying to just make it work was working against me. Now we are both happier, and the time we do spend nursing is that of joy, not stress about whether or not she's getting enough, or planning a way to keep her happy long enough for me to pump afterwards, of if I had clean pump parts.

I still pump, and I find that I get about the same amount because I'm not stressed and worried about it. I guess what I'm getting at, is that no matter what you do, you need to be at peace with it.

My husband has also been less then savory at times, but I realize now that it's because he's man, not because he's bad. He doesn't have the same body parts or hormones as me, and so the importance is not there for him. He wants the best for our daughter as well, but he doesn't have that driving motherly instinct to do it as nature intended. His "best" is different then my best, so it fuels an entirely different set of motives. When my husband gives me the "you did the best you could" speech I know it's because he's eager to actually be able to DO something (like give her a bottle), instead of just smile and pretend like all of this means as much to him as it does to me.

I truly do commend women who can overcome the same problems that I have, but if nothing else, it has been an extremely huge learning curve, and now I know what to do with our next child to ensure our chance of success.

You have only failed if you did not learn from your experience!

Hi there
    Thanks for all your incouraging words. And north of 60 thanks for sharing your experience, it nearly brought tears to my eyes.
    My son too had low birth weight, only 5 lbs at birth and 3 weeks early. He did not have jaudice but was very close to. He had low blood sugar though and had to be watched closely with blood test before every feed, day or night (it was hard watching such a little thing go through that)It didn't help as I only got milk on the 5th day and he wouldn't latch very well. We over came that soon enough but I never trusted the amount of milk I got. My DS also has reflux, and his Dr. will not medicate him as he's afraid it'll cause problems later on.
    We should start enjoying the time we get to spend with our LO. It will never be replaced. There is one more thing I'm gonna try. I got an SNS, (which I never told my DH about) and if this does not work that is it for tying to build a supply. I'll just give him what I got until I run completely dry. And will have to find a way to be happy about it.
    Thanks again

You keep trying girl! But the main thing is trying to enjoy you LO. I love the quote posted above, it's beautiful!. You've to trust yourself!