Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 months loves to use me as a pacifier!

Default 2 months loves to use me as a pacifier!

My two month old keeps wanting to use me as a pacifier during the day. I don't mind so much but it's just that he cries when he can't and it's hard to do things, plus my nipples are more sore. I try to show him his fingers, he'll suck for a bit and then he gets frustrated. He can't really get his thumb in to his mouth yet so he cries for me.

I don't want to give him a pacifier because I hear that interferes with breastfeeding but what should I do?

Also. it's hard to know really when he's hungry because sometimes he is attached very often, sometimes every hour or half. He'll suck then fall asleep. Also he spits up more know because he's eating so much more than his stomach can take, I think, because he wants to suck.

Also, does he understand when he's had too much to eat? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by coco; July 11th, 2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: error

Default Re: 2 months loves to use me as a pacifier!

ugh! I am in the same boat totally so I can't wait to read some answers here. BTW, mine won't even take the pacifier whether it interfers or not. He knows it is not mommy and won't have it! But I totally understand the sore nipples, they don't hurt, not chapped or cracked just tired of being pulled. And he is always spitting up too. Wish I had an answer. Hopefully someone comes along with some!

I would think after 2 months its okay to try a paci, if its not too late for him to even take it. There are all different shapes, you might have to try a few to find one that he likes.

I let my baby use a paci in the hospital and he never liked them, he will only take it in the car. It never interferred w/ BF'ing.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

here is some info from kellymom website about BF babies and pacifier use:
    it does say to wait at least 6-8 weeks to make sure your milk supply is established so it seems your little one is on track with that. But there is a lot of info there to read before you consider using a paci-
    here is the link

Here is my own experience. I didnt want to give my son a paci for fear he would be addicted to it for years. I waited and waited and didnt give him one. Well one day I was visiting my mom and he was fussing even though he nursed a 1/2 before hand. she found the hospital pacifier in my bag (i never took it out) and gave it to him. He calmed down. i have read that babies just want to suck sometimes.
    so for a while, I could give it to him occasionally with no problems. Now at 6 months, he wont take it as he has learned to soothe himself with out it. I think if you are constantly giving your LO the paci then yes you could have issues. But it may not hurt to try once in a while just to give yourself a break. But it is entirely your decision and what you are comfortable with. Good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

It is completely normal for a BFing baby to want to be at the breast nonstop, even when not hungry. This is how baby bonds with you and helps to establish an adequate milk supply. Pacifiers are okay to use, just make sure it doesn't interfere with baby's feedings.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Thanks !

Last edited by guenimo; July 11th, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

I have the same problem with my DD. I give her a pacifier sometime even tough I was totally against it. Sometimes she takes it (wich gives me a small break) but some others she just refuses it, so it doesn't mean that if you give the baby one, he will automatically become addicted to it. Also, when she is really hungry, first she totally refuses the pacifier and she will try to eat her hands wich give me a clue that I should offer her the breast instead of the dummie. I think that dummies can interfere with breastfeeding sometimes, wich I was afraid of also, but it's mainly at a younger age (before 4-6 weeks old) You know in french, there is a saying that could be translated as " You can't be more catholic than the Pope "!
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

My husband and I swore we would not use the pacifier (despite my mad paci skills as a wee babe) and then we ended up with Owen...he wanted to suck...all the time...and he would get mad at the boob because if he sucked there milk would come out! So we gave the pacifier at midnight one night and he stopped crying and slept.

He does not want it all the time, and I made sure to keep lots around so that he does not get a favorite one (because that is the one that will get lost). So almost 6 months later we still have a pacifier and a happy little baby who takes it when he wants, and leaves it if he is not interested...just like the boob!

My DS wouldn't take a paci at all, and I was his pacifier. It was hard for awhile (sore nipples, tired), but when he hit about 3-4 months and became interested in the world, that was no longer an issue during the day. He began to mostly just nurse when he was hungry during the day. At night however, he still would nurse every couple hours, sometimes just to pacify back to sleep. He is now 8 months old and FINALLY cut down to only 1-2 feedings per night. That is our special time that I know will not last forever. During those early months, he nursed probably every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I think it helped us establish a very deep bond. Now, when he is playing and gets scared or upset he crawls up onto my lap and nurses for a minute just to find comfort. That means the world to me!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK