Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What limits do you set on it, if any?

Default What limits do you set on it, if any?

I am curious about whether people who nurse toddlers start to set some kinds of limits on when the child can nurse, and if so, what they are. I don't let her nurse in the middle of the night any more -- I wasn't getting enough sleep that way. But I keep going to and fro about whether I should just let her nurse whenever she asks for it ("Don't Refuse!"), or stick to fixed times of day when it's legitimate. I don't want to go back to nursing 8 times a day, and sometimes I figure she's asking to nurse on a whim, or to make me forgive her (e.g. she deliberately breaks a crayon, I say "Don't do that, please", and she says "NURSE!"). What I often seem to end up doing is a half-way policy -- we always nurse when she wakes up in the morning, after her nap, and at bed-time; if she wants it at other times, I try to talk her out of it or distract her; if that doesn't work, I may give in. But I wonder if this is confusing for her; would it be better to be either stricter, or less strict? What do you all do?

Default Re: What limits do you set on it, if any?

Sounds ok to me! I think the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler talks about using distraction and other means of affection, or maybe it's How Weaning Happens.

Anyway, I don't think nursing a toddler should be treated the same as a nursing a newborn. I know my 15 month old will ask to nurse and then ask to nurse 5 minutes later because he's bored. I just laugh and tickle him and he forgets about it. I also think you are wise to recognize when your child is using nursing to distract you. My older son does this...if he has to go to bed or something he'll say "But I want to use the potty! In my opinion, you are being smart. You are recognizing what your child is doing.

Also, remember that for a toddler nursing is more about the emotional comfort and relationship, and there are other ways to express that. I don't nurse my son in public anymore unless we have been out a long time because usually he doesn't need it. There are other means of nutrition for him and other means of enjoying our relationship. But of course, if he's tired or I forgot his sippy cup so possibly he's hungry or thirsty I go ahead and do it. Just follow your instinct, and do what makes you both happy.

Default Re: What limits do you set on it, if any?

I am starting to set limits with my son who is nearly 3. Since the baby was born, I find that my toddler's latch is very uncomfortable, so I have tried to cut him back to about 4-5 times per day. Weaning would be devastating for him, so this is an acceptable compromise.