Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactating early

Default Lactating early

I'm about 7 1/2 months right now and within the last month I started lactating. Is it to early? I didn't start until about 8 months with my first one. Does this mean that I will have an abundance of milk when she gets here? Please help.

Default Re: Lactating early

what do you mean by lactating, if you mean that you are leaking colostrum that is notmal, I started leaking at twenty two weeks. Everyone is different, im not sure about the milk supply question.
    congrats and good luck

I started leaking colostrum somewhere early in the third trimester. It didn't affect my milk supply one way or the other, that I know of. I think you'll be fine!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

thank you. I just wasn't sure. I started leaking early with bri but I ended up producing 8 oz each every 3 to 4 hours. So i'm hoping since it started so early that it won't effect my milk production. It's hard to talk to my mom about this stuff. She just isn't nice about things. And my grandmother is just a little old fashioned about talking about this stuff. So thank you now I don't feel so wierd. I have a new question.....I didn't breastfeed with my first. She didn't latch on. At all. What tricks can I use this time to help baby want to nurse?
    Last edited by mcginnis822; July 14th, 2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add on

Lots of skin-to-skin contact early on is very helpful. If you have trouble getting baby to open wide enough, you can put some gentle pressure on his/her chin. Then it's just a matter of kinda squishing him right onto the breast while his mouth is open wide (you have to move pretty fast). (I'm not sure how basic you want the info to be. I'm sure since you have another LO you have some idea what you're doing, so I don't mean to insult your intelligence at all!)

Every baby is different, too. You might find that this new baby is a "natural" at nursing! Sometimes it takes some time and patience (it did for us). If you can work with a lactation consultant or start attending LLL meetings, you will find lots of hands-on help, too. Just know that you can do it, and there are very few challenges that can't be overcome in some way. Keep popping in here. There are some awesome mamas around here with lots of good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mcginnis822 View Post
    What tricks can I use this time to help baby want to nurse?
    It's great that you're going to breastfeed #2! It sounds like you body already knows what to do, and is getting off to a great start producing colostrum for your baby. There are some things you can do to get nursing off on the right foot this time around.

Ask for rooming in, so you can keep the baby with you at all times. That way you and your baby can learn each other's cues, you can feed on demand, and you won't risk someone giving the baby a pacifier or bottle.

Avoid pacifiers and bottles, especially in the early days. Both can teach incorrect sucking patterns, and giving bottles early on can cause nipple confusion, in which the baby learns to prefer the faster flow from the bottle.

Do lots of skin-to-skin contact. It can really get a disinterested baby interested in nursing.

If the baby doesn't latch, seek help from a lactation consultant immediately! There is nothing like hands on help!!!

I didn't get any help in trying to Bf my first. We lived in Virginia and bri was born just before hurricane Isabel hit. In fact they sent me home a day early so that we could get home incase the bridge got knocked out. And they wouldn't let me see her until 13 hours after I had her. So she was already on a bottle. Not by my choice. But because I had had an emergency c-section they said I had to wait that long and had to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom before they let her come in. Then I only had 2 days with the lactation nurse who was a total snob and was very rude because I wasn't getting the hang of it as fast as other people. She said your a woman and should know how to do this already. It made me feel to stupid.

And then the night we got home is when the huricane hit. I tried bf but she just wouldn't latch on. Between the storm outside and my frustration because we came home to a house with no power I think also didn't help her or me any. So you aren't insulting me Haley's Mama. I just don't know what i'm doing.

Wow. You had a lot going on last time with your lo! There are many helpful articles on the LLLI website, as well as many helpful mommas here on the forum! Another good site is kellymom.com. I would suggest looking up the getting started info on both sites to help you get a basic idea as well as good info for down the road!
    I'm so sorry you had such an inconsiderate LC your first time. Hopefully you'll get a better one this time and if not, the forum is always here for you.
    my only other suggestion is to breastfeed as soon as possible after birth. Babies have about an hour of alertness right after they're born that is perfect to begin putting him to the breast. After that hour they tend to get very sleepy!
    Good luck!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Quote Originally Posted by mcginnis822 View Post
    I didn't get any help in trying to Bf my first. We lived in Virginia and bri was born just before hurricane Isabel hit. In fact they sent me home a day early so that we could get home incase the bridge got knocked out. And they wouldn't let me see her until 13 hours after I had her. So she was already on a bottle. Not by my choice. But because I had had an emergency c-section they said I had to wait that long and had to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom before they let her come in. Then I only had 2 days with the lactation nurse who was a total snob and was very rude because I wasn't getting the hang of it as fast as other people. She said your a woman and should know how to do this already. It made me feel to stupid.

And then the night we got home is when the huricane hit. I tried bf but she just wouldn't latch on. Between the storm outside and my frustration because we came home to a house with no power I think also didn't help her or me any. So you aren't insulting me Haley's Mama. I just don't know what i'm doing.
    Gosh, poor mama! I can't believe a lactation nurse would talk to a mother that way! I'm so sorry you had that experience!

(And that woman is crazy if she thinks bf'ing is easy for everyone. I thought it was supposed to be, but learned very quickly that for some of us it is definitely more challenging. LCs should know that and be encouraging mamas to keep at it, not making them feel crummy about it. Sheesh!)

I really, really hope you'll have an awesome bf'ing experience this time around. There are some good videos online of what a proper latch should look like, if you think that would help. (I don't have links, but maybe someone will come along with some good ones?) The most important advice I can give you is to stick with it, even when you feel like you need to give up (and I think everyone feels like this at some point, even if it's later in the bf'ing relationship and something funky happens due to teething or illness or whatever). Bf'ing has its challenges, but it is also an awesome thing when it all comes together. And it WILL come together, even if it takes a little while. Take it from someone who's BTDT!

I think you'll find lots of support around here!

Hi welcome to the forums they are great! I found this video very interesting and helpful. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/
    Also another one I found very helpful is dr newmans BFing videos they are on the right side of the page http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    There is tons of advice on http://www.kellymom.com
    HTH!

Becky