Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding a baby with a Pavlik Harness

Default Breastfeeding a baby with a Pavlik Harness

My 2 week old was breech and has hip dysplasia. She is required to wear a Pavlik Harness, which holds her hips in a position that allows the hip socket to grow correctly. The problem is that her legs are like "frog" legs and I cannot turn her to face me when I feed her. She has to turn her head, and my nipples have become terribly sore. I didn't have a problem with soreness before she had to wear the harness. She has been in it 5 days now. If anyone has had a similar situation and has some tips on feeding positions for her, I would greatly appreciate it. I can barely take the pain every time she latches.

Default Re: Breastfeeding a baby with a Pavlik Harness

Would it work for you to be laying back/reclining with baby lying tummy to tummy on top of you? We nursed like that quite frequently with my little one. I hope someone with more experience comes along with more ideas for you.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Perhaps you could do the football hold, as long as you were sitting with enough room behind you for her legs (and she was supported with a pillow)?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I find when I do the football it's important for me to have a large enough pillow behind *my* back, or else baby runs into the chair/couch. HTH's.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

ooops, I posted a reply under chronic conditions

Thanks for the suggestions all. I was actually able to find something that seems to work for now. I lift her up much higher and put one leg up near my shoulder and the other down near my waist. Still working on the best place to put pillows, but the nipple soreness has improved already.

That's great news to hear!

Have you looked into your local LLL chapter? Your leader can offer you one on one support and perhaps individual positioning tips.

At my last LLL meeting we had a woman come that only spoke Spanish... but no one spoke English. Despite the obstacle she still got help with BFing her son. She brought her 11 year old DS1 along to help translate for her. It was such a wonderful thing, seeing our community of women helping other mothers
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin