Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help told to stop breastfeeding

Unhappy Need help told to stop breastfeeding

I have a month old baby girl, and upon our doctors visits, her pediatrician told me to stop breastfeeding her and start giving her formula. Her weight isn't increasing and is in fact dropping by a few ounces. Her weight will go up, then drop.. not a constant gain which makes me worried. Thinking about what her doctor said, i nursed her for the last time and realized how much I did enjoy breastfeeding. I don't want to stop breastfeeding her because it is so comforting for both of us but I want her to gain weight. Also if i stop breastfeeding I will be in so much pain from the engorgement. Is there any way i can make my breasts stop producing? Or do I just have to wait it out?

Default Re: Need help told to stop breastfeeding

and congrats on your new baby
    i just have a few questions for you...
    what was her birth weight? and her one month weight?
    How often is she eating and for how long are her nursing sessions?
    Does she have a good diaper output (wet and dirty diapers?)

I think this would help us to find more info for you once we know!!
    I will be searching for info for you in the mean time.
    Stay strong momma we are here for you!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I would strongly suggest you get in touch with an IBCLC (a board certified lactation consultant) to work with you and your doctor to come up with a solution other than switching to formula. You could also call a LLLeader for support. There are lots of things that could be going on, and switching to formula wouldn't necessarily make everything better and might actually make some situations worse. You might also consider seeing a doctor who is more supportive of breastfeeding for a second opinion. I know you must be concerned about your daughter and her weight gain. Know that even if some things need to be changed or you need to supplement, how ever much breast milk she gets from you is benefiting her. Hang in there!

Please Loucee
    Don't stop breastfeeding. With my first daughter, I wasn't doing the right technique etc and she wasn't gaining weight from breastfeeding. my pediatrician sat with me in her office and watched me breastfeed then showed me the right technique. For peace of mind she also recommended an appropriate formula for use as "backup."
    For even greater peace of mind I took to pumping so I could see what my daughter was getting and how much formula i needed to give as top-up.
    so, please, don't stop. Just work around it.
    all the best loucee

Just a thought. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice. It is better for her to get some breast milk than to get none. You could supplement with formula and still enjoy breast feeding her. If you do supplement when she is given a bottle, you could pump to keep your supply up and hopefully eventually return to exclusively breastfeeding her.

In addition to Heather's great questions...
    Is she fussy? content? sleepy?
    How are you doing? Rested? Any breast pain?

If you want to continue BFing her there is not reason to stop cold turkey!!! keep it up mama!

Don't give up yet Loucee. If you're still willing to try, you can supplement instead of giving up totally. That way you can work on getting your supply up, getting your style down and try again down the road. You can at least give bottles of expressed milk so your LO can have the benefits of BF.

I am not saying it's a wrong choice. You just don't sound like you are ready to give up yet, and you don't have to. Even one feeding a day is better than nothing and if you still have milk (even a short supply) you can work on getting it up enough to not have to supplement at all.

Take care of you and make sure you make a choice you can live with. Good luck Mama!

It sounds like you already have a beautiful bf'ing relationship with your LO. You CAN overcome these problems, like pps have said. Someone told me recently, "You really can't do anything wrong as long as you're loving your baby." Hang in there, mama! You're doing great!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

You might want to see a lactation consultant, get some pointers, and also rent a scale. If you weigh your baby before and after feeding, you can tell exactly how much milk she is taking in during a nursing session. If it isn't enough, you might want to top the baby off with formula, or, preferably, pumped milk. (The more milk you take out, the more you will make. A lot of moms end up decreasing their milk supplies by supplementing with formula and not making up for the missed nursing sessions by pumping.)

While I understand your doctor's concern, it doesn't seem like a good idea to just quit nursing and switch to formula. Breastmilk is more digestible than formula, and has so many other health benefits besides just calories!

My lo had issues with low weight gain for months. My pediatrician advised me several times to stop breastfeeding, give more formula, etc. That's when I knew it was time to find a new pediatrician. I did end up supplementing, but, had the doctor ruled out the medical issues first, it may never have come to that. I like the new pediatrician much better.

I agree with the pp. Find a leader or a lactation consultant. Even if you end up needing to supplement, they can help you do it in such a way that it doesn't mean the end of breastfeeding.

Hang in there!

Loucee, please find a BF-friendly doctor to speak with. Some doctors overreact to low weight gain and are not knowledgeable about BF.

Please keep us updated! We want you to be a part of our online community!