Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fever? please help!

Default fever? please help!

DS (3.5 months) had a really runny nose last night and was having trouble breathing. We suctioned out lots of goop but he was up most of the night. This morning he seems warm so I took his temp under his arm and it read 100 even. I called the ped 'on call' but they haven't called back - that was like 2 hours ago! I'm not happy about that. This is ds's first time being at all sick. Is that a temp I should worry about? He is eating okay but is pretty sleepy (maybe from being up all night). What should I do??

Default Re: fever? please help!

it is a low grade fever, but i would call the on call again. personally, i never wait more than 1/2 an hour for them to call back, don't feel bad calling again.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I totally know how you feel...I dealt with my LO when he was about 2 months and it worried me sick...he was sick for about 2 weeks...It killed me...I am sorry that you are having to deal with this...If you haven't gotten a humidifier by now I would get one...I was upset that I didn't get one before LO got sick because by the time he was I didn't want to take him to the store to get one...good luck with the doc on call and all that suctioning...

oh yeah if you are having problem suctioning like I was...(he would fling his arms around and hit the suctioner)...lay him down on the floor with his head in your crotch and your legs on top of his arms...they don't like this very much, but I made it a little game and now we do that sometimes to tickle him and he likes it...I had to suction like every hour so this position came in handy...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

We have a humidifier - should I run it even though its pretty warm and humid outside right now (its summer in CT and we don't have AC, so the windows are open). I thought about taking him into the bathroom with the shower running to create steam last night.
    Thanks for the suctioning tip - he was squirming around so much I was worried about poking his eye.
    I might get brave and take his temp rectally - isn't that much more accurate? One of the reasons I'm worried particularly is because when we were visiting the daycare he'll be going to (grrr... stupid daycare) there was this boy they were sending home sick b/c he had a high fever. So I don't know if he caught that.

is your LO in day care because from what I hear theres a lot of viruses going around! I'm sure hell be fine but I agree with some of the other moms I never wait longer than 30mins so just keep calling try to relax and good luck.