Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One breast producing more than the other!

Default One breast producing more than the other!

I just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on June 26th. She was born at 31 weeks and is premature. Jaedyn is in the Nicu currently and so I have been pumping to keep my milk supply up. I pump every 3-4 hours for about 20 minutes and have been pumping about four ounces of milk between both breasts. Recently though my milk supply has suddenly gone down and I am only able to pump one ounce in one breast and barely an ounce in the other. I haven't changed my routine so I am very confused and frustrated right now. What are some things that I can do to increase my milk supply for my little girl. I have started to pump every 2 hours now but I still haven't seen a change

Default Re: One breast producing more than the other!

Stay very hydrated and make sure you are eating an extra 500 calories a day to keep up with milk production. Try (I feel bad for even suggesting it), but try to relax....pretty hard with your current situation, but it can help a lot. Look at photos of the baby, that always helped me. Fenugreek is an herbal supplement that can help with milk production....there are others, but I don't know much about them. Oatmeal also works well for some women, even in the form of oatmeal cookies.

Back to the hydration, I used to guzzle a giant glass of water while pumping and I swear it made the milk rush out. It could have been psychological, but it worked.

My left breast was always the big producer. I think a lot of women have one breast that produces more than the other..pretty common.

Those are a few tips to get you started, others will be along soon (maybe not tonight, it's getting late)...HTH!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Oh...and congratulations on your baby girl!!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

thank you nola. I will try drinking more water. I also ordered mothers milk tea so I am hoping that helps as well.

I can't address the supply issue as well as others (now, if you were asking about OVERsupply, I'd be all over it, because I've been there, done that!). But as far as one side producing more than the other, this is common. My right side is the overacheiver in this family!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?