Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush = Constant Clogged Ducts?

Default Thrush = Constant Clogged Ducts?

So, yeah.

Is it possible that my repeat clogged ducts is caused by thrush? I've had a clogged duct every day now for over a week. I can't take this much longer and if it keeps up, I may have to stop pumping. And if I stop pumping, that means little one gets no milk and has to go to formula because we've not been successful at latching yet.

I have a doc appt tommorow and I need info. I keep getting told if I had thrush it'd make my whole breast red. Here's what I have:

1) Recurrent clogged ducts
    2) Pink nipple and areola that gets pulled into the horns (somewhat shiny)
    3) Sometimes itchy breast
    4) Shooting pain when I start pumping
    5) Occasional constant pain while pumping
    6) Occasionally, I'll just get a pain in my breast, even when I'm not pumping
    7) In the shower, if I gently rub my nipples I am constantly getting stuff to come off. Like how if you take a shower and rub some spots you get skin that sloughs off.
    8) Cracked nipples, that sometimes bleed
    9) On my nipples, I have lots of little round things that look like they're filled with clear fluid

Default Re: Thrush = Constant Clogged Ducts?

I don't want to be redundant, has anyone given you this link yet? Its a link to kellymom, called, all you ever wanted to know about thrush and there are like 70 million articles to read.

I can't say whether thrush and clogged ducts are related. But I can tell you that a lot of the symptoms that you mention sound very much like thrush (I had thrush but did not have any redness on my nipples or the whole breast!). I've had a few clogged ducts but never at the same time as my bout with thrush. Your clogged ducts could be from the breast not emptying completely (that's also what happened to me, so I speak from experience there!). Good luck to you... hth!

and I just wanted to add if your doctors not helping fire them and find somebody esle.
    Sometimes they just do not know much about breastfeeding!

your whole breast would be red if you had mastitis!
    and you don't want that.
    talk to a diffent doctor!
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; July 13th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.

My doc gave me a prescrip for antibiotics -- again! Last time it was for an ingrown hair near my incision (we didn't want it to get infected so close to my incision, that would be bad).

I'm guessing he's giving it to me to prevent me from getting mastitis. And I got the "this could give you a yeast infection" warning. Again. I'm so confused! He's a doc, he's got to know what he's talking about, and I can't keep taking time out of work for these clogged ducts and all these appointments! I also don't want to get thrush! She shows no signs of thrush either.

I don't want to be unnecessarily treated either -- he said if it was in my ducts -- which at this point I think is a very real possibility, that the diflucan he gives me is not compatible with breast feeding and I'd have to dump my milk! I've only got about 150 oz in a stash, and she takes 32 oz a day. That's 5 days I could give her breast milk, and all I've read says that the diflucan is usually given for a couple of weeks!

I'm so lost and so confused. All I want is for the plugged ducts to stop happening every day and to not have pain when I pump!

you can take that and nurse....
    if you were on anti-botics before I bet it is thursh.
    I had one of thoose ingrown hairs with my c-section and it hurt like the dickens!
    I hope you are fealing beter soon.
    You might want to check out getting a pro-abotic...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

heres another good link I don't know if anybody shared that one yet

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ml#antibiotics

Ok, so it sounds like you may have more than one thing going on here, IMO. I am thinking you should see an LC or an LLL leader asap to get some in-person help.

Some things I was thinking while reading your post:

Your pump flanges may be too small, causing pinching and pain and damage when pumping.
    Thrush could definitely be present if you are having burning. Any nipple damage you have may be letting thrush creep deeper into the breast.
    Plugged ducts seem to be a problem for some women and not others. If you are emptying the breast with each feeding, then they might be an unfortunate random occurrence for you.
    The spots on your nipple may be plugged nipple pores. They are relatively common.

If you feel feverish and your breast gets red and hot, please see a doctor immediately, even at night or on the weekend. If you get mastitis, you need to treat it asap to prevent an abscess and surgery and gross wound care.

Most importantly, keep nursing. Good luck.

I keep offering her the breast and she keeps refusing it -- she never opens her mouth enough for me to really get it in, and it seems when I try that my breasts are soft, so it's like trying to shove soft clay into a hard, small spot.

Right now I feel what I still think is a clogged duct, but the pain is gone, at least. It's complicated by the fact that i have a rather large round lump right around it. I'm scheduled for an ultra sound, but I have to empty my breasts for them to be able to really see anything, and when it was near time for the appt I couldn't empty my breasts because of clogged ducts. I'm just praying that when the next time I scheduled it for comes around I'm problem free enough to empty my breasts.

They always seem soft and floppy when I finish, and they don't get any more milk, even when I hand express or turn my pump all the way up.

I use a large shield. I tried the extra large, but I think that was pulling WAAY too much of my areola in too. My nipples and the areola around them are so stretchy right now that I worry I may have damaged them. But if I go to the normal shield, my actual nipple rubs against the sides and I barely get any streams even after a let down, whereas with the large I've gotten up to 4-5 streams.

Krystal - I've had ALL your symptoms... and it really sounds like thrush. There are lots of websites that mention a correlation between clogged ducts and thrush. I truly believe that's my issue as well.

Are you taking Lecithin? Also, what I've done is put rice into a Ziploc bag (some people just put it directly into a sock) and microwave it for a minute and put it on my breast before nursing or pumping. I also hop in the shower, massage and try to manually express.

Also, I've taken Diflucan twice now (2 14 day treatments) and it's fine to nurse your baby. One thing many people have told me is that it's fine to feed my baby stored breastmilk during thrush treatments, but anything I've had stored I need to throw away. Some have said to go ahead and boil it, but since I've dealt with this for almost 4 months now - it's just not worth it for me to give it to my LO again.

Are you sterilizing your pump parts everyday?

I had nipple damage for MONTHS as well which was not helping the thrush situation. If you can, try and heal the nipple as much as you can. The All Purpose Nipple Ointment helped (very pricey and only a compounding pharmacy would do it), but also try Diaper Rash Relief and Thrush ointment.

Also try: http://lactinv.com/tscreen.htm - the LC is very knowledeable and I just ordered some stuff from her which is consistent with other research I've done.

I finally have my pain under control, I could still tell it's there, but after being on Diflucan, using Grapefruit Seed Extract, Gentian Violet, "Beat the Yeast" , herbal kit, APNO, probiotics and candida diet - it had better be feeling better!

Hang in there - I'm trying to hold on for at least another 2 months - the benefit of all this yeast cleansing and candida diet is that I weigh less than my pre-pregnancy weight, can fit into size 2 pants, and as my husband puts it - "looks hot"! I hope you don't have to go through the extremes that I have but once it's in the milk ducts, it's sure hard to get rid of.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about some of the products I mentioned above that I'm trying.

I sterilize all pump parts except for the little rubber valves. Those I soak in very hot soapy water. The only time I don't sterilize after every pumping is when I'm at work. There I leave them all assembled, rinse in hot water (and some water I get from the coffee machine) and then toss it in the fridge. I sterilize as soon as I get home.

I took one lecithin, and then had second thoughts about using it and feeding her since there's been no research on it's affects in breast milk and on babies. I ended up dumping 32 oz of milk as a result. Thank god for freezer stashes.

Right now they seem better. Mild pain, but not severe, and the cracking is almost healed. In fact, before I pump, my nipples look almost normal. Afterwards they're swollen, but what can one expect after sucking on them for 10-20 minutes?

A friend of mine at work said he heard that no one in Australia has problems with plugged ducts, because of all the pineapple juice they drink there. So I've been drinking one 8 oz can of dole's pineapple juice since yesterday. I figure what the heck? I know they say to cut out sugar to avoid thrush, but there's only so much you can do.