Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one breast not full

Default one breast not full

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced a difference in breast fullness and whether it means I am running out of milk on one side. I am pretty sure I use both sides fairly, but am making a conscious effort to feed more on the emptier side. I think my son (7 months is getting enough) just curious how it happened and what to do. I have been watching it for about 4 days now and still my right side feels empty, while my left is full.
    Thanks

Default Re: one breast not full

Hi Melissa,

As long as you are actively lactating/breastfeeding, neither side will be entirely empty, but sometimes they do prefer one side over the other and if the demand is more on that side, the supply will be, too.

I think you're right on track pushing nursings on the other side. You may, for a while, offer the least favored breast first, when baby is hungry or sometimes you can trick them into taking it when they are sleepy or during night nursings when they seem to be less aware.

I have been slightly "lopsided" for pretty much the entire time with the exception of a few weeks here and there. My left side produces a lot more than the right, gets full a lot faster, and pumps a WHOLE lot better than my left. As far as the feedings go we do both breasts at each feeding, but that is DS's choice/preference. When I was working, I would barely have 1-2 oz out of my right breast and sometimes 4 out of my left. From what I hear from other moms it's pretty normal.

I also hear it's normal, but just curious if anyone knows, will they be different sizes for the rest of my life? I laughed at my dh when he said someone told him bfing made one boob bigger than the other, but now it seems like it might be true- I hope not!

I'm having the same problem. My son is five months old and suddenly my right breast just doesn't seem to be producing at all anymore. I feel like a total freak because my left breast is three times the size of the other! I try to pump and stimulate it a few times a day because he just seems to fight with it when ever I try to nurse him on that side. Can one side just dry up like that?

Quote Originally Posted by sammysmomma
    Can one side just dry up like that?

LOL, my left one is my small producer. I get maybe 2 ozs out of that side and at least 5 out of my right. For 2 weeks straight I started ds off on my left side every time, then I'd pump for 10 minutes on that side only after he ate. It was an exercise in futility I tell you! My left side is STILL at LEAST 1 cup size smaller. What can I say? I just hope it evens out after he's done nursing!