Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 day old only sleeps when being held!!

Default 16 day old only sleeps when being held!!

Hello! I just had my second baby a little over two weeks ago. He is nursing beautifully and gaining weight well. The problem is that as soon as I lay him down (he's already asleep), he wakes up and cries until I pick him up! He will sleep on an incline (in carseat and bouncy seat), but wakes up immediately when I lay him flat on his back in the crib or bassinet. My four year old son did the same exact thing as an infant. After much exhaustion, I started bringing him in my bed. I do not want to do that this time, because of the problems in brought with my husband. Also, we just got him in his own bed about 9 months ago. Any advice?!?!? Please help!

Default Re: 16 day old only sleeps when being held!!

DD hated to be put down for sleeping until... she was about 3 mos. Sometimes it is because sleeping flat is painful for them - if he has acid reflux, for example. (In our case DD had a very upset stomach due to dairy intolerance and my over supply.) You might have to hold him longer than you want to make sure he is deeply asleep, usually this takes 20-30minutes. When you can pick up a baby arm and it drops like a brick, try laying him down then. DD was also much better if I propped her up on her side instead of putting her down flat on her back. (Some mamas around here have even been known to lay babies down on their tummies. ***shocking, I know*** But be aware that tummy sleeping increases SIDS occurances.)

How about a swing?

For that matter, how about a sling?

My 2 month old had the same issue. I started putting her to sleep on the couch in a "Moses Basket which I inclined either with a pillow or arm of couch. I also make sure to swaddle her...she seems to wake up when her arms aren't secure. If her arms get free, I will secure them under the blanket and rock her a lttle, gentlly holding her hands down, and she usually goes back to sleep. When hubbie and I go to bef, he lifts the Moses Basket and puts it in the bassinet part of the pack and play which is next to our bed. If we were to pick her up to move her, she'd wake for sure!

OMG...mine is the same way and everyone teases me that he is so spoiled...He is almost 6 months old and still has to sleep in the bed with me or in the crease in our couch for naps...Even when he is in a deep sleep when I put him in his crib the only way (I know it is bad) he will sleep is with a stuffed animal on both sides of him...Every once in a while he will sleep without somethig next to him and roll over and sleep with his arms and legs all tucked underneath him...It is so cute...I am glad that I am not the only one...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

You're describing my past seven weeks. I've tried everything! I don't have any suggestions, but you are not alone. (no pun intended)
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

One word for ya- SWADDLE! I had the exact same issue and it solved my problem. The startle reflex is very strong at this stage, but swaddling prevents them from "startling" awake.

At first, I was swaddling with his arms left out, and I later learned this made the swaddle ineffective.

I wouldn't rely on the swing- you don't want to get him used to only sleeping with motion. Swaddle him tight (he may fuss while you are doing it, but he'll soon love it- I promise!).

Try tonight and let me know how it goes!

I remember those days oh so well. It took a good 6-8 weeks before we found what worked for him. Before that I had to get sleep so my son and I took over the guest bed. I swore I would never do that but when you are sleeped deprieved you do what you have to do. But, finally we hit the jackpot...he liked being on his side, swaddled, in between his wedge, and then taking another blanket and wrapping it around him and the wedge, tucking it up under the wedge.

I had the same problem with my daughter her first few days. I ended up putting her in her car seat, facing the bed so she could see me, and she'd sleep, since I didn't feel comfortable cosleeping.

Then I got into a routine with her.

Change her, swaddle her, feed her, put her in her swing for 20 minutes while I pump, by which time she'd be asleep. I then carefully picked her up, took her upstairs, and would put her in the crib in a sleep positioner, and then wrap another blanket across the top of the sleep positioner and under it.

We don't do the later much now because it's gotten warmer since the end of may / early june.

But if you don't feel comfy with the cosleeping, try the carseat idea. I know I didn't feel comfortable because in the beginning I would sleep with a blanket to put my scent on it, and I'd rotate blankets through the night feedings so she was constantly wrapped in something that smelled like me. Unfortunately I would wake up every time the alarm went off for a feeding in a panic thinking that the blanket I had cuddled up to (and rolled over onto) was my daughter.