Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take my Baby PLEASE!!!

Unhappy Take my Baby PLEASE!!!

This is my first post but i have been lurking here since the start of my pregnancy. i have a 7 week old daughter whom i love with all my heart she is my one and only so everything we learn were learn together. For the last three days if shes not attatched to me shes crying. not that cute little cry she had when she was born no nono she has found her lungs and screams a mighty roar. holding her isnt enough she wants to be latched on sometimes she nurses sometimes she just lays there with my boob in her mouth but when i remove it after i think shes asleep she wakes up within seconds and starts screaming. i tried sneaking her a pacifier and that went over like a lead balloon. The last couple of nights shes slept in bed with me and dh and she slept fine as long as she was latched i love her but mommy needs a break if just long enough for a shower. i called my sister over to hold her while i tried to jump in the shower but she screamed so bad my sis was pounding on the door before i got my pants off. i feel like im a lady on the edge is it wrong of me to set her in her swing or bassienet and let her cry while i take a minute outside or dare i say a quick shower?

Default Re: Take my Baby PLEASE!!!

I so feel your pain. My 5 mth old is the EXACT same way. I cant lay him down even if hes drooling while asleep. My second son was just the same way. Its so hard and there are days I hardly get up from the recliner. Some days my boobs hurt so bad from him using me as a pacifire its not even funny. Its very hard. I can go at least two days with out a shower. Then I have to Yell at my husband to hold him so I can get one in.

I dont have any answers for you. BUT my second son (Scott) got to a point at about a year where he didnt want me at all, Then by two I got no more kisses or hugs at all. BUT lord help me if I tried to go anyplace even the bathroom!

Remember that it won't last forever! She may be going through a growth spurt, in which case the situation should be improving soon. In my opinion, a sane mother is much more important than those 5 or 10 minutes that she would miss being on the breast if you were to set her in her swing and take a shower. Have you tried having someone walk her around outside while you take a quick break? That was a magic trick for me when I was at a similar point - the fresh air was enough of a change of scenery to temporarily distract the baby (for a few minutes anyways!)
    Good luck and remember we've all been in your situation!

This worked for us (we did them all at the same time):
    Using cross-cultural techniques combined with his own research, Karp has developed the "five S's system" that initiates and maximizes the infant's own built-in calming reflex:

Swaddling– Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support the fetus experiences within the womb.
    Side/stomach position– The infant is placed on his left side to assist in digestion, or on his stomach to provide reassuring support. "But never use the stomach position for putting your baby to sleep," cautions Karp. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is linked to stomach-down sleep positions. When a baby is in a stomach-down position do not leave them — even for a moment.
    Shushing sounds— These imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb.
    Swinging– Newborns are used to the swinging motions within their mother's womb, so entering the gravity-driven world of the outside is like a sailor adapting to land after nine months at sea. "It's disorienting and unnatural," says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.
    Sucking– "Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system," notes Karp, "and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain."
    more of the same:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-09-karp_x.htm

I`ve been there too. My son was attached to me 24/7 for the first two months of his life. He would scream without end if the boob fell out of his mouth.
    I second taking her outside for a little while. My son loved it and the fresh air calmed him down a bit. And I risk being very unpopular for this, but I do not consider baby crying with father a bad thing. If she is safe in loving arms and cries for 5 mins while you take a quick shower that`s not a crime IMO. Once it got so bad for us that I had to leave ds with trusted friends (he was crying most of the time) while dh and I went out to a restaurant to take a break. I know not the best idea, but at that time I really NEEDED it.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

I feel your pain... my DS is also a high needs baby - specially when he goes through a growth spurt. What I found was right was sending him out for a stroller ride with his dad while I took a nice long shower. Might want to try doing some pumping too - I know it was a lifesaver when my mother came to babysit for a couple of hours while DH and myself went to a movie.

If you feel yourself getting out of control - put your LO in a safe place and back away for alittle while. I know I spent a few nights crying with my Gabe when he wasnt happy.

Hang in there Momma - vent away with us and try to keep your sanity! There are many of us in the same boat

Oh bless your heart! You will get through this.

I agree with a pp - you have GOT to take some time for yourself, you have got to have a break. Have friend/sister/husband take the baby outside for a walk or wear baby. I say a baby crying in someone's arms is better than a baby crying alone but you have got to have a break.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

I could have written this post six months ago. For nearly three months straight, my LO cried and cried and cried. I didn't have a life because he was either on my boob or wanted to be held all the time. I starting seeing things because I didn't get any type of decent sleep. I was tired.
    There were days that I didn't take a shower, which was a big mistake. I discovered that time alone was so important for my sanity.

When hubby came home, I gave him the baby crying or not and I would take my shower. The baby won't starve or get hurt if she cries. A baby can get hurt if mom is not all there.

People used to tell me that things will get better and I did not believe them but please believe me (I was on the edge) it will get better. You will learn to read your baby's cues.

Best wishes
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

I agree with everyone else saying that you need a break! If it means that he has to cry for 5 minutes every now and then (in a safe place of course) while you clear your head...get something to drink...or anything else...then that's what you have to do. It is best for the baby if you take a minute to calm down, so don't feel bad that you have to ignore his cry for a few minutes. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of him. When I'm cooped in the house all day I get really bumbed out sometimes....so going outside helps the both of us. And yes....I promise it does get better....everyone was saying it to me and I didn't believe it.

Oh boy. I rememeber these days also..Now 2 years later I can tell you that Thomas still has a fierce need for momma but nothing like those first few months. I second the Dr. Karp recamendations, The Happiest Baby on The Block and also take a nosey around on Dr. Sears website he has some great resources for high needs babies. Hang in there!!