Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I create OALD with pumping??

Default Did I create OALD with pumping??

my dd is 7 weeks old today. I have been pumping after about 2 feedings per day because she was not emptying me. And I pump overnight to create a supply. I think I've created a problem!!

Lately (the past few days) she has been screaming and pulling off of me - I notice there is milk in her mouth so I am now wondering what's going on.I do hear her gulping prior to pulling off. Is this a forceful letdown? This continues throughout the entire feeding on both sides!! And when she is full she screams at her finishing point. Why soo much screaming??

I should also mention she rolled over yesterday onto her stomach!! Don't know if that means anything but I read developmental things interfere with feedings.

My milk does not seem to spray out -and when she pulls off of me andI squeeze my boob- it is just a dribble- and I never ever leak so I always assumed I only had just enough milk to satisfy her.

What do you think??

Thanks
    Lauren

Default Re: Did I create OALD with pumping??

Okay, pumping after 2 feedings to empty your breasts? That might be the problem. The first part of a feeding you are giving LO foremilk. It is watery and sugary. The later part of the feeding LO gets the hindmilk. It is fatty and soothing. If LO does not get enough hindmilk (usually because of oversupply) and LO gets instead lots and lots of the foremilk... not so good. Too much sugary foremilk makes babies really gassy, fussy, and could cause screaming babies, explosive green poops, and a baby that seems hungry all the time. The best idea when nursing is to let the baby finish the first breast. When I first had oversupply I would let DD nurse from the same side for a few hours (called block feeding) before switching to the other side - this makes sure that the baby gets that rich fatty milk!

DD also acts this way when I have had dairy. I had OS I still have OALD and she can't tolerate dairy. For some reason about 7-8 weeks is when the fussy eating starts. She rolled over already?! Bravo! Genius child!

It seems though if you are pumping your breasts empty that LO is not getting the hindmilk for those feeds.

HTH

How often do you burp her during the feeding? If she is gulping then she's probably taking in quite a bit of air and that may be making her unhappy. It doesn't really sound like you have OALD, but perhaps a bit. As for what noodlenerd said, are you seeing green poop? You can still pump after feedings and have the baby get enough hindmilk if you are letting her nurse as long as she wants before pumping. Though most women find they can't pump much after a "good" feeding so maybe that is part of your issue. Hope you can figure things out soon! Those early weeks can bring many challenges but you can definitely overcome this and it gets so much easier!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Hi, I was also gonna say maybe she needs to burp? My daughter fusses alot sometimes and I will burp her forever to get it out. But it does finally get out and then she is happy and ready to nurse again. Also when I use to pump I noticed my milk would come out alot faster at times. So I stopped pumping for awhile and it got better.

Thanks!

No green poop!

LOTS of yellow poop and sometimes greenish looking seeds- i posted a question about that-

Maybe the screaming has to do with dairy- it's so strange and so frustrating.

I pumped after the feedings bec. dd eats so fast and I didn't feel emptied, but i only get about 1/2 oz to 1 oz. total. So, I guess I was empty??