Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malfunctioning BOOBS???

Default Malfunctioning BOOBS???

Okay Im so very frustrated - and since I live in a small town where there is no League to speak of.... I thought I would turn here to see what you all thought -cause I have found NO information on the internet - and I'm almost to the point to doing formula -
    This is my second child - never could get a schedule down with Baby one and went to formula around 2 weeks...
    This time around I'm having issues with my supply and my letdown.

My main concern is that when I do letdown it only squirts out like one stream at a time- then when it gets to the fatty milk it only bubbles out -
    My son falls asleep at the breast - probably out of bordem - then I unlatch him and he is ticked off cause number one I woke him up - and number two he is still hungry.

I only produce around 1 oz to 1 and half ounces an hour - and that is if I empty each hour.... if I dont and wait 3 hours or even 2 it is usually only still at 2 ounces.

I had a c-section so some of the options of sittin gin a hot bath to help with let down isnt an option.... at least not yet

I truly dont want to give up but I just dont think my boobs work correctly.

ANYONE have issues or know where I should turn for an issue like this?

Default Re: Malfunctioning BOOBS???

how old is baby?

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Cool Re: Malfunctioning BOOBS???

I highly doubt your boobs dont do their job right!! The great thing is that if your prducing anything at all you CAN increase your supply. You should check out the low milk supply forum and ask your dr about fenugreek!! Its working great for me!! Hang in their!

Baby was born June 25th -

Which doctor should I ask about whatever lol it was you said?

couple of ?'s if you don't mind.
    How often is baby nursing?
    are you just pumping?
    What are the wet diapars and poops like? Thats the way to tell if baby is getting the milk they need.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

most newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain they need.
    heres a link about schudled feedings.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/schedule.html

fenugreek is a drug that some moms take to help milksupply. You can get it over the counter.
    Lots of moms think they have a low milk supply when that just isn't the case.

sounds to me like they're doing their job just right! When babies are that little they really don't eat that much. That's why they eat so often. Remember that thier stomaches are only abour the size of thier fists. When you first let down it will stream out and once that slows your baby will still get milk. He's probably getting hindmilk too. Which is the milk that comes right after your let down. It's VERY common for babies at that age to fall asleep while eating. Just do your best to keep him awake and remember that they will eat all the time for a while.

My son is was 10 lbs 11 oz. at birth. He is now 3 months old and 16 lbs. He nurses every 2-3 hours in the day and seems satisfied after his feedings. When I pump, no matter when I pump, I can't get more than 2 oz; that is after 20 min. of pumping. However, I am able to nurse after pumping and milk just runs down his chin after he lets go. What can I do to pump more effectively? Are some people unable to pump enough to feed their baby? I am using the Ameda PY. I've also used the Medela manual pump.
    Please help!

I don't get streams at all. Never have. But baby gets enough to eat. And 2 oz pumping is a decent amount!

My advice is nurse. As often as you can. If he's hungry or still wants to nurse when you unlatch, let him nurse again.

If he's peeing and pooping enough, he's getting enough to eat. A big part of nursing is having the confidence in your body to believe that it can make enough milk. The other big part is commitment enough to see it through when you're nursing all the time.

Hang in there! It does get easier.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by babylevismom; July 13th, 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: interrupted the thread. sorry!

when I brought the guy home from the hospital we had a poop that day - so that was day four -
    then we didnt one for a few days - then had one - then it was a good three more days till we saw another one - that is when I read that i was supposed to be having poop every day - so i started supplementing he is probably getting around half and half right now and is pooping very good - yellow seedy almost like a pure breastfed baby is supposed too...

he still has not gained all his birth weight back - he was 10 6 at birth - and at his two week he was 9 9 -

I have an electric pump - but I try to nurse at least 4 to 6 times aday at the breast and then pump in late evenings - we usually only use the formula during the night hours.

Thank you all... I'm just frustrated... emotions are everywhere.... thanks for encouragement ...
    I just read about ladies that are able to pump 14 ozs and it makes my 2 ounces seem like such a loser amount.
    I will just try try try some more -

My plan was/is - to keep suplementing till I know I am producing enough - then slow off the formula and see if he keeps poopin' .... he was wetting his diaper real well just no poop - lots and lots of toots and burps but no poo...

I will go and look at some of the links posted... thank you ladies