Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tide Goes Out! (Another Long Story by: Me)

Default The Tide Goes Out! (Another Long Story by: Me)

Starting Tuesday, we have been having troubles with nursing. Haley would act hungry, but when I put her to the breast, she would scream and flail and turn her head. It started with just the left side, but eventually she was doing this on both sides.

I finally figured out how to "trick" her into nursing. I'd have to get her super calm and sleepy, and then she'd nurse without fighting it. (She did fine at night or right after a nap.) Sometimes it was as simple as giving her the paci for a few minutes and then switching it out for the breast. Other times I would end up sitting on the vanity in the bathroom with the hairdryer running beside us. I considered the possibility of an earache or some other pain that was aggravated by lying on her side, but as long as she wasn't nursing, she didn't cry when she was on her side.

By this morning I had just about had it. I was beginning to doubt myself. Was I misreading her cues? Was I forcing her to eat when she wasn't hungry? Was she just sick of me and didn't want to nurse? DH was frustrated with me for being so upset, and I said, "I can't explain to you how it feels, as a mother, to not be able to meet one of your baby's most basic needs. How am I going to feed her if she keeps on like this?" And how could I continue to care for this baby if everything I'd thought I knew about her was wrong?

I was already composing a desperate post in my head, hoping someone here would have some suggestions, or at least some encouragement. And then it hit me. My nursing pads!

I use washable cloth pads. I normally hand wash them in the sink with the same detergent I wash Haley's clothes in (as per package instructions). But I got tired of doing that and decided it really wouldn't hurt anything if I stuck them in a little laundry bag and threw them in with the rest of the wash. What I didn't think about was the fact that I was throwing them in with DH's and my clothes, which meant I'd be using Tide. (We had Tide leftover and are using it up; then we plan to just use the baby-safe detergent for everything.)

I figured out when I had washed the pads last (Monday evening) and when I had first worn them after the wash (Tuesday morning). And Tuesday afternoon was when Haley started all of this. Coincidence? I think not. Maybe there was some sort of scent or taste being left on me from the pads.

So I jumped in the shower and washed my nipples with water as best I could. Then I applied a little lanolin (just hoping if there was any leftover taste/smell that she didn't like, the lanolin would mask it) and dug out some disposable pads that I had left over (they make me itch, so I don't normally use them). I took the cloth pads downstairs and boiled them to remove any detergent residue for future use.

Since then I have nursed her twice and NO fussing. If there is no fussing for the rest of the day (over nursing, at least), then I'm pretty sure I've discovered the problem. Sheesh! Wish I'd figured this out a few days ago!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: The Tide Goes Out! (Another Long Story by: Me)

thats pretty crazy! but it makes sense. I never would have thought of the detergent...you're one smart momma.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    you're one smart momma.
    I'd call it desperate more than smart!

I actually remembered reading in The Baby Book (Dr. Sears) that one mama realized her LO didn't like her deodorant and was refusing to nurse as a result. Once she changed brands, the nursing strike was over. I was racking my brain for anything that could be making her so resistant and then I remembered the nursing pads.

We just had another very pleasant bf'ing session, so I think the problem has been solved. Soooo glad I figured it out.

Wow! Good detective work, mama! Glad things are going better.

Ha ha! I have to laugh with you on this. When I had DD, I took a shower before I left the house at around 6:30 am, and had her at 6 pm. I didn't get a chance to shower the next day (they kept moving me rooms - arghh!), so when I finally showered the next day, DD didn't want to nurse at first when she smelled my deoderant and not my BO! They're funny little things, huh?

Go mama...

You are so composed Gretchen.
    Mom to 3 awesome kiddos...
    C - 9yrs

O - 7yrs
    A - 1yr old in Nov '15

I remember when my LO was about 1.5 days old, and I was still in the hospital, I took my first shower. When I tried nursing next, Jack took one taste and made a face like I had just fed him a sackful of lemons, and then just screamed! Fortunately it was pretty obvious at the time what caused it--whrn the say, "don't soap up your nipples" they mean it!...way to go for picking up on this!

Gosh, I can't tell you how nice yesterday was. She'd just latch right on and go to town, no fuss, no mess! Phew!

It feels so good wen you figure the little one out. yeah!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...