Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extended breastfeeding and pregnancy....

Default Extended breastfeeding and pregnancy....

So my twin boys are almost 11 months old. My goal is at least 13-15 months. I am very proud of the fact that we have never once used formula, and my children (as well as I) seem to love nursing.
    DH has been my support. Through all the ups and downs of a first time nurser of preemies, and his support with the disaproving looks of others as they got older I couldn't have made it without him.
    My question is about fertility and this seemed the appropriate thread for it. Dh REALLYreally wants another babysoon. He has been asking me for about the past 6 months when we can expect to concieve again. I am excited about having another one asap also. The problem come in that I have not had a period yet. The boys nurse about 6-7 times a day. I explained that we would probably have to cut back or wean to expect fertility to return. Now Dh's view has changed and he is saying things like "They don't need to nurse right now---they need to wean anyway."
    I feel guilty to both my sons and my husband. My boys need this great nutrition for a while longer. And my husband has been such a saint, I feel guilty for not listening to his wants and wishes.
    Any advice ladies? Also, how many nursings a day did you get your periods back? I am sure I can double that for my twins.

Default Re: Extended breastfeeding and pregnancy....

Not nursing twins here or TTC, but I got my period back 3 months post partum and my daughter nurses on demand when we are together, but it works out to 6 feedings. When I work, I pump 3 times and nurse her 3 times. Hope that at least helps out some!

My period returned when dd was about 9 months, but I'm not nursing 2! I found out I was pregnant right around the time she turned 13 months. We didn't start trying until she was 12 months becuase I really wanted to make sure she got her first 12 months of breastfeeding in. Every woman is different...some women can't get pregnant again until they have completely weaned, and some women get their fertility back right away. I'm sorry I can't give you the "answers" but I really think its a personal choice for you and your dh to make, taking into considerations the fact that most immune systems don't fully develop until the child is between 2 and 3 years of age. My dd has been sick since my supply decreased 3 months ago, but she is still nursing. She just isn't getting much of what she needs to boost her immune system. I'm not positive the two are related.

Good luck!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

if your not using any bc your going to get pg when your body is ready to.
    IT will happen.
    some moms are lucky and don't have a period inbetween babies.
    Good luck!
    andrea

I've read that for moms whose periods haven't returned sooner, a lot of women see them around 13 months. I got mine around that time. You might gently remind your husband of how life would be different if your twins weren't nursing right now. Babies immune systems are only 60% developed at a year, so you would probably see more illness. If they nurse to sleep, that might take more time and energy for a while. They are getting nutritional insurance. Since he's been so supportive all along it probably wouldn't take much to get him back on board to wait things out a bit.

Congrats on making it this far nursing twins! (and preemies at that!) Way to go!

I'm not sure how feeding twins changes things, but from what I've read / experienced / learned from friends, often returning fertility has a lot to do with nighttime feedings. My period didn't return until my son started sleeping longer through the night, and we didn't conceive our 2nd until he was pretty much going all night without nursing. I also have several friends who had babies who slept through the night quickly, and their cycles returned by 3 or 4 months pp.
    (and a couple of those who ended up with babies that were 14 or 15 months apart!)
    All that to say, you don't necessarily have to completely wean to conceive again.

Some Moms are able to bf throughout a pregnancy without problems, while others experience a decrease in milk supply (I'll let you know how things go for us!). Hopefully, a mom of twins will respond so you'll have a better idea of what you can expect!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Not what you want to hear but my son was two in May and AF still hasn't returned for me. I just nightweaned on Memorial Day though so hopefully things will start rolling soon. Good job for going so long!

Janine

Hey thanks, girls for all the great advice. Both T&C have been sleeping through the night (12 hours straight) since 4 months. The night time nursing thing is not true here. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that if I am nursing 7X a day it really is like 14 times to my body since there are two of them.

Since I have posted this I have been doing a lot of thinking about priorities. I think like one of you gals stated, when my body is ready it will happen. I totally agree with natural child spacing and I think my two precious babies deserve as much protection as I can give them. We are going to wait it out! Thanks again!