Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Burps A Whole Lot

Default Baby Burps A Whole Lot

Hello everyone
    My baby (almost five weeks old) burps a whole lot. After feeding I always burp her. And try to get at least a second one out. But up to 45 minutes after feeding she makes sounds as if she's struggling (eh, eh, eh) and I hav to pick her up for a burp. SOmetimes the poor little thing makes short sharp cries as if in pain and when i pick her up its a big burp.
    Sometimes the gas/air/wind comes out in a forceful woosh of poop.
    Does your baby burp a lot?

Default Re: Baby Burps A Whole Lot

my baby burps after every feeding. Sometime he will be sitting there doing nothing and he will burp. Other times, like when he is on his tummy or something is putting pressure on his stomach, he burps on his own as well.
    I dont know if it means he is getting in a lot of air, or if he just a gassy baby.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

i don't usually drink soda but had quite a bit yesterday (was craving a particular brand) and it also happened that she seemed extra fussy. i'm wondering if the soda affected her?

Yes my ds burps and farts like a man! I think it is cute now, but eventually I will have to train him not to do it in public. The best was when he was about 8 weeks old I went to rent a car, and he farted so loud...there was no way that I could not acknowlegde it. If I ever have an "accident" I can at least blame him...until he starts talking that is!

I was going to post a thread about this as well

My LO doesn't ALWAYS burp, but I think she should. I try to burp her but it never helps, I just have to let her do it on her own. I usually just walk around with her over my shoulder, it seems like the combination of the motion, and the pressure on her stomach from my shoulder does the trick.

She gets gas really easily.

I'm not sure if its something I'm eating or what! I've tried cutting out everything that could cause gas, and it doesn't seem to help much. I think she just swallows too much air. She drinks really fast.

Also, I'm not sure if maybe my flow is too fast or what other problem it might be, but during just about EVERY feeding she "chokes" and coughs, and sounds like she cant catch her breath at times...anyone know why?

My DD is getting better at burping (now 4 mos old) but she used to be terrible at it. Sometimes she would fuss for almost an hour before we could get that burp up! Now she still surprises me sometimes by burping a loooong time after I have fed her.

Walimaki
    I have also been concerned about the choking. relieved to know its 'normal'

Walimaki - Do you spray a lot if your baby unlatches? If so, it probably is the force of your let-down. She'll be able to keep up with it better as she gets older. Mine is just now starting to get better at dealing with it, so he doesn't gulp and choke quite as often as he used to.
    Last edited by boudicca13; July 13th, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post
    Also, I'm not sure if maybe my flow is too fast or what other problem it might be, but during just about EVERY feeding she "chokes" and coughs, and sounds like she cant catch her breath at times...anyone know why?
    it might be the fast flow of milk. my son also does this a couple of times during feeding. but he's learning now 'cause i see him pause when he senses a fast flow coming in.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by boudicca13 View Post
    Walimaki - Do you spray a lot if your baby unlatches? If so, it probably is the force of your let-down. She'll be able to keep up with it better as she gets older. Mine is just now starting to get better at dealing with it, so he doesn't gulp and choke quite as often as he used to.
    I only notice it if it happens when she's nursing on the right side. its not so much a spray as much as it is a quick drip. I soaked the bed sheets today when this happened.

She actually has improved on dealing with the choking, it started out really bad, now she just coughs for a few seconds and then goes right back to nursing. I have to keep a towel under my breast though just in case.

Thanks for the answers! and SORRY for hijacking this thread. I feel bad now after realizing thats what I did.