Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tiny mouth = not getting enough breast tissue?

Question Tiny mouth = not getting enough breast tissue?

Hi-

My DD is 4 wks old and I'm BF'ing her exclusively, but my kids have VERY tiny mouths when they're born and it's always been a struggle to BF because of VERY sore nipples. However, with my newest DD, she is NOT making me sore but since her mouth is so little, it's very hard for her to get enough of the breast in her mouth and she swollows alot of air... I can hear when she takes a breath through her nose, that she gets some in her mouth too and then swollows it- it really isn't that big of a problem as long as I burp her really well afterwards, and give her gas drops, but my question is- when she gets bigger and her mouth gets bigger, will she take more of the breast and not have such a air swollowing problem or is this going to be something we'll deal with forever?

(she's gaining weight really well - she gains about 5 oz every 3 days!)

Default Re: Tiny mouth = not getting enough breast tissue?

Don't worry, my son had the same problem, but know it's the total opposite, he gets too much, he covers the entire areola and want more, sometimes I have to pull him out. Your daughter is doing well, so keep up the good work!

Default Re: Tiny mouth = not getting enough breast tissue?

Does she open her mouth wide? Have you tried an assymetrical latch to help her take in more of the areola (aka "nipple sandwich")?

I'm wondering...do you feel like you have "a lot" of milk?