Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby's Tongue is White

Smile Baby's Tongue is White

I just got down reading the thread on thrush and I'm curious if this is what my baby might have as well. There is a patch of her tongue that is white. It looks like it does after you eat a colored popsicle and your tongue turns that color, only hers is white. I went to kellymom.com to read the other symptoms and it doesn't appear that she has any of the other symptoms and I don't have any of the symptoms of a mother with thrush. Is the white tongue just a normal thing for breastfed babies?

Thanks!

Default Re: Baby's Tongue is White

Could just be milk tongue if there are no other symptoms.

My Dr Told Me To Get A Wash Cloth And Rub It Not Hard To See If It Comes Off U Might Try That

If it rubs off, it's just leftover milk residue. If it doesn't rub off, it could be thrush. That's what my LC told me. You can also check with your pedi if you're unsure.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks! I will try to wipe it off and let you all know if it works!

Sounds like milk tongue. If it were thrush, your baby would be in a lot of pain, and may refuse to nurse.

Jen80, my bella rayne was also born on 5/20!

Smile Re: Baby's Tongue is White

She is so cute! I tried to post a pic of my little Madeline but it wouldn't let me. I'm going to keep trying though!

If your baby has thrush they may not be in any pain or discomfort. Most babies don't notice the thrush, it's Mom that ends up hurting! You may notice your nipples have a shiny pink appearance and there will be burning pain in them. Mine would burn after allen finished nursing and it would last for a good hour or so.

Gentian violet is what I used to cure the thrush and it worked great. It's available over-the-counter and is a purple dye basically. You walk around with purple nipples for a few days, but it takes care of the fungal infection!

Jen