Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night feedings/waking up

Default night feedings/waking up

i know you shouldn't compare one baby to another.....but i got an email today from one of those baby sites that said that LO should sleep through the night and doesn't need to be nursed through the night. so how do i do that? if he wakes and wants it--do i refuse him? heaven help my boobs....he is 6 months old, and of course i want him to sleep through the night. he wakes up 2 or 3 times i think...sometimes i am too groggy to remember

what do you think??

Default Re: night feedings/waking up

My lo is almost a year old and still wakes to nurse atleast 3-5 times a night. We co-sleep so it isn't a big deal. I know lots of nursing mom's who's lo's didn't sleep through the night until past a year old. Like you said, all babies are different.

I think that sometimes they need the calories or the contact. I am going to let DD eat at night as long as she wants it.

My SIL had her mother stay with her for a week and take her boys for the night when they were about 4 mos. When they got up and wanted to nurse grandma held them and sang to them but they were not allowed to nurse. After a week they slept through the night. She thought it was a great alternative to CIO because it let her get more sleep. ... it's an alternative... just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    My SIL had her mother stay with her for a week and take her boys for the night when they were about 4 mos. When they got up and wanted to nurse grandma held them and sang to them but they were not allowed to nurse. After a week they slept through the night. She thought it was a great alternative to CIO because it let her get more sleep. ... it's an alternative... just not for me.
    I've seen this recommended in books. Basically, you remember that "nurse" means comforting, rocking, soothing, etc. as well as the actual act of feeding. So the idea is that another caregiver "nurses" baby back to sleep at night. (Mom would remind baby of food.) After a while, baby stops feeling the need to eat at night. Don't know if it works or not, but that's what I've heard.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

maybe i can get DH to wake up with LO...that has not happened since his birth....i mean, not even once!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my mom lives in IN, so that isnt really an option either....
    maybe i will just try to sooth first, and offer the boob second.
    thanks for the help!

There was a similar thread a while ago...

Mom was trying to end night nursing. At the same time her LO had a stomach bug and woke up very sick. So she held him herself telling him, "no nurse. no nurse." because she didn't want him to get sick again. She said that it helped her night nursing decrease. You might be able to try it yourself. I think DD would pitch a huge fit if I did this - but then she is still little and I do not think she would understand what was going on.

There's nothing wrong with nursing back to sleep. If it works for your family and everyone is getting enough sleep, stick with it. DS is 17 mo, and he still nurses at night, but he will sometimes go back to sleep without it and has gradually been spacing out his nursings. So, even if you choose to continue with what you are doing, there is hope that it won't last forever.