Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Side Feeding

Default One Side Feeding

I have a 2.5 wk old LO and he feeds for a very long time. If I let him, each feeding could go over an hour. He does seem to be actively sucking for a good portion of the time, though, and because I'm on a nipple shield, I feel like I should keep him on longer since it might take him a while to get everything out. Today at the doctor, my pediatrician suggested that I only feed my DS on one side, assuming that he can get enough from one solid (25 minute) feeding on one side. I tried that today, but then he woke up from napping on his own after about and hour and 15 minutes, where normally, he will go for 2+ hours on his own. (Sometimes, I have woken him up during the day even so that he can get more feedings in during the day.) So now, of course, I'm paranoid that the one side wasn't enough. I just tried again and then pumped the side I didn't feed on. I got about 1.75 oz. Even though I know that what I pump doesn't necessarily equate to what my LO gets in a feeding, I'm wondering if less than 2 oz is a normal amount for one feeding for a 2-3 wk old infant. Does anyone know about how much I should be aiming for at each feeding if I'm feeding 9-10 times per day/night? I also wonder this because I am going to have to have grandparents give him a bottle of EBM this weekend when my DH and I attend a wedding. Sorry so long. Help would be great!

Default Re: One Side Feeding

Your baby will suck way more than 1.75 oz from you. A pump is not as efficient in emptying your breast as your baby is. So dont worry about that, your LO is getting plenty!! Also, my son only nurses from one breast at a time for every feeding. We have done it this way since day 1. He hasnt had any issues with weight gain, he is 18.5 lbs at 6 months!! So if you want to nurse from one breast, I dont think it should be a problem.
    And for a bottle, I would have at least 2-3 oz for one feeding. He may not eat it all but its best to have too much than not enough. Maybe have a few bottles ready just in case he does eat more than that though!
    sorry for such a long response

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

That helps a lot, thank you. Another question now...did you have to pump at first in order to keep up your supply or did your milk automatically regulate itself so that each breast held enough even though it was only being emptied every 5-6 hours or so.

Also, if I pump at one time and put that milk in the fridge, is it OK to add more to it later if I pump again or does the newer milk need to go in a separate bottle?

Who knew there were so many questions?!!

I am not sure about the pumping assuming you are also bfing the pumping is going to tell your body you need that milk at the time you pump. If you continue to pump around the same times your body will regulate to include milk production because you are telling your body to make it when you feed and pump KWIM? As far as saving milk in the fridge its fine as long as the new milk is cold before adding it to the older cold milk and its done within a 24 hour period. Hope that helps!

Becky

I pumped yesterday for the first time in weeks and only got ~2oz. and DD is 4mos. I know she eats more than that. I am just not that awesome at pumping yet... I think that 2-3 oz. is pretty normal for a very little one but every baby is different. When I had someone else giving DD bottles I always made 2 bottles. One 3oz and one 2oz. So that my mom would give her the 3oz first and then the other 2oz if she needed to.

I don't completely understand. Why were you told to nurse only on one side? I did this when I was making way too much milk for DD... but it also sounds like you are worried about your supply... I would let your LO graze if that is what LO wants. If you are getting tired of being a human pacifier you could always slip a finger in DS's mouth when he is done actively sucking and give your nipple a rest.

I do think you should add warm milk to cold milk. I always put the new milk in the fridge by itself and waited to combine them until they were the same temp.

My ped. thought I should try BFing on only one side because he felt that since I was nursing so long (start to finish over an hour a lot of times), the baby was not getting as much sleep as he should be getting during the day. He thought I could try just giving a full feeding from one side and see if my LO is satisfied after that, telling me that he doesn't actually need to feed for as long as he is. But he doesn't spit up often at all, which makes me think he's not taking in more than he should, right? For my sanity, it would be nice to not have such long feedings, though I'm willing to put the work in now. If only I knew they would not always be so long...there's so much advice out there, it's hard to weed through it all!

Quote Originally Posted by newmom07 View Post
    My ped. thought I should try BFing on only one side because he felt that since I was nursing so long (start to finish over an hour a lot of times), the baby was not getting as much sleep as he should be getting during the day.
    Is he actively eating that whole time? I think IMO it is a little early to try to regulate his feedings. It might be good to get an hour of sucking to get your supply strong. I also don't get how sticking to one side will help fake the feeding sessions shorter... your supply will adjust after a few days to the new feeding pattern... so then won't he be eating for an hour on one side to get the amount of milk he wants? I am not sure about this advice. I think if baby is hungry and willing to eat, he should be allowed to eat... I think your ped is trying to help you maintain your own sanity and if you need shorter feeding sessions to remain sane then you do what you have to do! Just don't think there is anything wrong with long feeding sessions.

Oh, HI! I LOVE CHICAGO! My best friend and sister live there - in The Loop and in Wicker Park. I moved away from Illinois and miss it.
    Last edited by noodlenerd; July 12th, 2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: I love Chicago!

Hello back. Chicago is a fun city. We're actually in a suburb just outside the city, not actually in Chicago.

I think you might be right. I was pumping the other side anyway because I was nervous about supply issues, though I don't think there is anything to worry about. Of course I would love, for my sanity, to have shorter feedings, but I don't usually mind the long ones except for when my DS won't sleep afterwards and I can't get anything done. And in the middle of the night, they can be very difficult because I'm just so so tired and want to get back to sleep. Really, the time when the long feedings are turning out to be frustrating is when we are out. Yesterday, we were at my in-laws, and I had to leave everyone for an hour - twice. I don't feel comfortable feeding in front of them just yet, nor do I think they'd feel comfortable with it, either. Because I have the shield, too, it's not as easy to feed in public. I know that all the hard work is put in in the beginning, though, so I guess I need to suck it up.

My LO has already had bottles because in the beginning, he would not even latch on to the shield. He's gotten the hang of it now, but will have another bottle (likely 2) on Saturday when I go to a wedding. He'll be almost 3 weeks then. Is it a terrible thing if every couple of days I allow my husband to give DS a bottle of EBM at night to give me some more sleep? I know most people say to wait until 4 weeks, but I feel like he'll be OK coming back to the breast. I know my DH wants to help out more, and the thought of being able to sleep a bit more at night is very tempting. Is this selfish?

man I remember having so much trouble feeding on both sides he would only eat on my right side and not the left because the nipple didnt come out enough for him to latch on to it so that was a difficult time for me and him and then the worse part about feeding only on one side is that your boobs will become different sizes and my doctor said its going to stay this way im not really thrilled about it it sucks having to adjust my bra to different lengths....sigh....first I was proud to have big boobs lol now there not like that... lol sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by newmom07 View Post
    Is it a terrible thing if every couple of days I allow my husband to give DS a bottle of EBM at night to give me some more sleep? I know most people say to wait until 4 weeks, but I feel like he'll be OK coming back to the breast. I know my DH wants to help out more, and the thought of being able to sleep a bit more at night is very tempting. Is this selfish?
    It is not selfish to want sleep. The problem is that to get your supply established you should pump every time LO gets a bottle. I suppose you could skip that every once in a while but it might mean you'll be making less milk.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleButtons View Post
    he would only eat on my right side and not the left because the nipple didnt come out enough for him to latch on to...and then the worse part about feeding only on one side is that your boobs will become different sizes and my doctor said its going to stay this way
    Are you still offering the other side? I would keep trying. Once they get latching down they can latch onto anything. DD frequently latches to DHs arm so tightly that he can't remove her! I have also heard others say that they made a 'breast sandwich' to help LO latch. Pumping that side might also help to bring your nipple out. I wouldn't give into lop sidedness so easily!