Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i need HELP!!!

Default i need HELP!!!

I stopped last week after finishing fenugreek last week and everything was going fine and recently I've felt as if my supply was dwindling I was reassured and felt ok but today I tried to pump before the dentist and only was able to pump 1oz total after 5mins on each side (i was kinda in a rush) and milk stopped flowing and my LO hadn't eaten atleast 2 hours before! I had to make a bottle of formula because I knew he was gonna wake up to eat (wich he did) and it broke my heart I never wanted to give him formula! I'm so depressed now and I don't know what to do. is my supply dropping! what can I do to help my supply? and how can I make myself feel confident? I need more help asap! I'm losing my mind!

Default Re: i need HELP!!!

You said you were kinda in a rush, so maybe that is what hurt your pumping output. Stress can play a factor in things like that. Also, you prob already know this, but pumping is far less effeicent(sp?) than actual nursing, so your lo is prob getting plenty. If that is the only problem you are having- that one pumping session, then keep up the good work. Put your lo to breast every 2 hours and see if that helps your supply up, but like I said, pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you are making. I'm sure you have heard it a thousand times, but here's one more, your supply is fine as long as your lo is gaining enough and has enough wet diaper (5-6 a day). You are the best judge of your lo.

As for the formula, don't feel bad, you did the best you could and the world will continue to go round Your lo had a full tummy while you were away and that is all that matters. I had to supplement my lo for the first 8 weeks due to poor weight gain and low supply, so consider yourself lucky. I doubted myself constantly because of my lo's slow weight gain. Then one day I realized no matter how much she nurses or eats, she is just going to be small. I quit worrying and started just enjoying the time I had with my lo. She is almost a year old now, happy, healthy, and beautiful. Have more faith in yourself. God gave you your lo to take care of you are the best provider for him. So, try to get off the worry wagon and have fun with your lo

Here is a great link that might help. And holy momma, with such great weight gain like your lo, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

thank u so much! I will deffinatly take a look at that website with my first I only breast fed for 4wks because my milk never came in and I had no resources like I have now I really wish I had! I love bf and I wish I could have fed her longer! I'm nurvious that I won't succed! thank u 4 all the support!

so did the fenugreek help? i take it and have been long term...so try that but its ok giving formula ur baby needed to eat right? i just recently added blessed thistle...i have trouble i think keeping my supply up because i have arthritis and i have chosen to bf my lo instead of my meds so im in pain alot...but the fenugreek has helped!!!!!