Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If not visited by the breast fairy...true or false

Exclamation If not visited by the breast fairy...true or false

Okay here is a post from another board I visit:

I've had to get extenders because my bras are too tight around, but with those, I'm still wearing pre-preg bras. I went to a workshop on breastfeeding last night at our hospital, and the nurse said that that is one of the 3 red flags that may indicate that a woman won't produce enough milk. I am devistated to think that there would be any possibility of me not being able to b/f. Anyone else hear about this? Anyone else concerned? Did this lady just give me something else to be paranoid about?

Now I have not received a visit from the fairy. Actually never have with my past pg. I am still wearing my pre pg bra without extenders.

Please shed some light for us.

Default Re: If not visited by the breast fairy...true or false

I found this in The Breastfeeding Answer Book (p.21)

"Research indicates that women who do not experience breast growth during pregnancy can still produce adequate milk, as breast growth continues during the first month after birth. One study (Cox 1999) found no relation between breast growth during pregnancy and milk production at one month."

To make you feel better I was an A when I got pregnant and all through the pregnancy and worried about the same thing...Well needless to say now I am a D...I produce enough milk and then some...My ped even talked to me about donating some...I am a teacher and off right now for summer, but during school I pump and can get usually 6-8 ounces each time I pump...I know it can be scary, but it is not always true...believe me I didn't believe the sales girl when she measured me at a D...I am wearing C's and busting out becuase I didn't believe her...on a shorter not ...I LOVE THEM! I am going to miss them one day...hehe
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

I didn't grow at all during pregnancy- thank goodness! I was already a 40DD and I don't want to be bigger. Anyway, I don't have any problems with supply- though I did soon after my daughter was born. But that was due to a very, very, very bad latch!

Breast growth is only one of the changes that indicate preparation to make milk. Others include breast tenderness, color changes in the areola and/or nipple, increased visibility of veins in the breast and or Montgomery glands in the areola area, and production of colostrum.

Let me just say I'm small! I wore a 32AA pre-pg, and now that I'm BFing, probably would still, if they made nursing bras in anything smaller than a 34B. So needless to say, my bras have a little "extra" for my needs! And when I was pumping, I managed to sock away 2 gallons in the freezer. Even itty bitty t!ttys can do their job!

When I went in to get nursing bras when I was 37 weeks pg (had DD the next day!) I was still not quite filling my 34A's. The store clerk at Motherhood Maternity was like, "Let me help you. What size are you wearing right now," Me: 34A
    Her: 34A!? right now?
    Me: Yes.
    Her: Okay **looks at me like I am a martian**, you will probably want a 34B for nursing then.

My breasts never really reacted to puberty why would they react to pregnancy? I never noticed any of the changes that the pregnancy books said I might notice. I can still fit into most of my 34A bras!! And to put your mind at ease I have so much milk I do not know what to do with it all. !!!

I love that mama_p "Even itty bitty t!tties can do their job"!!!!

I actually think it probably makes it easier because you are not wrestling with a huge boob and a wiggly baby.

I wouldn't worry. It seems to me that humans wouldn't have survived as a species if we couldn't make enough milk for our offspring. I mean do other mammals go around worrying about making enough milk for their babies? As far as I understand, frequency of nursing plus adequate fluid intake are the important factors in milk production.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.