Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal nursing amt for 13-month-old

Default Normal nursing amt for 13-month-old

I am nursing my 13-month-old on demand. However, lately we've only been nursing about 3 times a day- morning, naptime and bedtime. And sometimes during the night if she wakes up. She just hasn't been interested in nursing any more than that. If I try to get her to nurse more, she throws a fit. Is it normal for a baby this young to want to cut back so much on nursing? I worry she's not getting enough breastmilk for her age.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Default Re: Normal nursing amt for 13-month-old

That amount sounds completely normal. My LO cut down even earlier than that, before his 1st b-day...and still nurses 3 times a day now at 16 months.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

We are still nursing about 5x/day at 12 months old. I think 3x a day is fine as long as shes happy. As you increase your solids then you would expect for them to not nurse as often.

If I could get my son to nurse 3 x a day that would be outstanding. I am curently trying to wean both child led and mother led atm, I wanna quit more then him, I don't mind night nusing atm but the day bothers me since I have 4 kids, I'm kinda waiting atm till school starts again cause that leaves me and my 14 mo at home alone most days. So I am putting it off atm cause I figure if I have only one kid to deal with it might be eaiser. I'm with you I don't know what normal is, cause any time my little one is bored per say it is to the boob!!! Help! I just wish I could get him down to 3 times a day your lucky IMO. its more like 9 to 10 time for me and Its too much!!!
    Last edited by MomO4; July 14th, 2007 at 03:14 AM.