Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Im need a little advice

Exclamation Im need a little advice

I have just started to exclusively breastfeed I was pumping and am trying to get two month old back on the breast. I have had some great ups and downs for the past three days but I feel like I have regressed in knowing what my baby needs. prior to feeding on the breast i knew exactly how much she was getting and therefore better understood what her cries meant. her diapers are fine but i cant help but think? is she getting enough to eat. Im not sure if she is hungry or tired. For example she just ate about 1 hour ago for about 5-8 minutes and i burped her soon after she spit up we played for about 20 minutes and i tried to give her the second breast she would not latch and now she has fallen asleep. Did she go to bed hungry. I am just not so sure i know whats going on with her anymore, Im hoping things will be better as the days pass and I will be as confident as I was before. Any suggestions she also has not had a bm since sat? could she possibly be constipated wile being breast fed. ....TRYING TO FIGURE THIS MOM THING OUT

Default Re: Im need a little advice

Hi kaykate23, and

What a big transition, to go from exclusively pumping to exclusively breastfeeding! Kudos and big congrats to you for hanging in there. I can certainly understand how this change introduces some room for confusion and doubt.

The single most reliable way to be sure your 2mo baby is getting enough milk is to watch her wet diaper output. There should still be at least 5-6 good wet diapers in every 24-hour period. Over the longer term, she should also be gaining weight.

Around the age of 2-4 months, many exclusively breastfed babies will start to poop less frequently. It is not unusual for an exclusively breastfed baby to go days at a stretch with no dirty diapers. If your daughter is making plenty of wet diapers and if she seems generally happy, the lack of poops is not something to worry about.

When an infant gets constipated (which is extremely rare for exclusively bf'd babies), her stool will be dry pellets. If your daughter's next dirty diaper is just a giant-sized "breastfed-poop" diaper (yellowish/seedy/soft), then she is definitely not constipated.

You can't offer the breast too often, especially for a such a young baby who is still learning to nurse. So it sounds like you did just the right thing by offering the 2nd breast. If she did go to bed hungry, then she'll wake up soon to eat again -- then you can nurse her again! Follow her cues, track her wet diapers to reassure yourself that she's getting enough milk, and I hope you will soon be able to relax and enjoy your new freedom from the breastpump! Don't hesitate to post again if you have questions or concerns -- that's what we're here for.

Quote Originally Posted by kaykate23 View Post
    ..better understood what her cries meant. ...
    My ds is 3 mo old, and i'm still trying to figure this mom thing out you're not alone... I read the book Baby Whisperer last week, and boy did I wish I read this book earlier! in the book, she'll describe different types of "cries"... maybe that will help you decifer the cries

thanks for the advice btw we were on the breast for first three weeks then i had to pump for med reasons and the little one lovessss the bubba, about the book she was on opera ,,,right i think im gonna get that today! thanks again i luv this forum so helpful

I didn't care for the book but my kids are much older!
    some older babies don't poop much when they are getting only breastmilk.
    heres a link to dr sears that might help
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070700.asp

I think you are thinking of baby wise, a book and an approach i am not interested in. I think the book this women in talking about is learning the cues baby gives you, like the hunger cue, tired cry etc. I'm a new mom and am really having a difficult time transitioning from bottle to breast although it is getting better and because of that unsure exactly how much my baby is eating...and second guessing my instincts on whether or not she is hungry tired bored... she was eating about every 3 hours and since giving her the breast she has been at it every hour hour and a half...maybe its a growth spurt my endless wondering will probably never end. Thanks for your advise and that was such a great article.

Quote Originally Posted by kaykate23 View Post
    t I feel like I have regressed in knowing what my baby needs. prior to feeding on the breast i knew exactly how much she was getting and therefore better understood what her cries meant.
    Congrats on the switch. It really is a switch in midsets to not know exactly how much your baby is getting, but another thing to keep in mind is that their appetites DO change. Just because the baby eats 4 oz. sometimes, doesn't mean that she won't be satisfied with 2 oz. another feeding, and need 5 or more oz. other feedings. Babies go through growth spurts, and aren't as hungry at other times, just like we do.

It's kinda hard to do at first, but you really do just have to trust your baby to know what she needs, and trust your body to give her what she needs! If your baby is healthy, and you don't have any other medical issues, there's no reason your body can't give your baby exactly what she needs, when she needs it.

It will feel more natural once you're used to it. Oh - and if they're hungry, they won't sleep through it!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

the baby whisperer says you should limit time at the breast, and also follow the same eat play sleep routine that is in baby wise.
    you'll figure out what works best for your baby, you know them beter then any doctor or other mom.

Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.