Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when do i start?

Default when do i start?

if i am going back to work in 6 weeks, when should i start trying to build a stash in the freezer? i am a sped teacher and get no breaks so i will not be able to pump at school while i am away (likelihood..i may get one session if lucky) any advice on start date and how to have enough w/out pumping at work more than once?

Default Re: when do i start?

More experienced moms will probably have more advice, but I would start stashing your freezer now. My suggestion would be to pump first thing in the morning, then feed baby before you leave for work. Pump as often as you're able to at work, and then nurse baby as soon as you get home as often as he/she will nurse at night, then pump again after baby goes to bed. And nurse like crazy on the weekends. Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest (ha- it's hard to not laugh at that one). Good luck!

thanks. yeah, "rest" ha-ha, what is that? i forget. i'm just worried b/c i am not sure i'll be able to pump at work even once.

Can you pump on your lunch break? I'm a teacher, and that's the only time I was able to pump. I'm not SPED though, so I know you may have a different situation.

I also suggest you start pumping now. I started when my LO was about 4 weeks old, and by the time I went back to work when she was 12 weeks old I had a ton of milk stashed. I always pumped right after her first morning feeding and right before bed. Once I went back to work, I still pumped after her first feeding (I put that milk in a bottle for her to have at daycare) and before I went to bed.

I was able to successfully pump enough to exclusively bf her, she never had to have any formula. So it CAN be done! But I was an absolute slave to that pump for many, many months. But it sure was worth it!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

I am hoping I will be able to pump at least once at lunch or recess but I work with a high risk population in a hospital type setting and we spend every minute with the kids! We eat lunch with them, etc. I hope to be able to get away to my car once a day, but if there are too many issues happening at a particular time it can be hard for me to get coverage. (You'd have to spend the day where I work to understand it's chaotic nature at times) I'm dreading being a slave to the pump but I guess I better get started!

Wow, your job sounds intense. I hope they are paying for your lunch period if you are required to work it. I once worked at an outpatient setting where I was the only RN and couldn't leave the building, so they had to pay for meals and breaks. Check the law where you live, they may be required to relieve you for 30 minute lunch break and/or 1-2 10-20 minute breaks. I admire you teachers!!!

We work a shorter day; 7.5 hours. We can opt to take a 15 minute break during the day if there is coverage instead of leaving 15 minutes early for the day. They are a great company and I have good bosses so I don't anticipate any attitude; it is just literally the type of setting where some days you feel you might pee your pants before someone can come cover you to get to the restroom. Was tough when I was pg for sure!