Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 feedings a day for a 4 month old is recommended??

Default 3 feedings a day for a 4 month old is recommended??

My 4 month old daughter is definitely not starving. She weighs 17 pounds 9 ounces, but I of course worry that she isn't eating often enough (lol) so I asked her pediatrician if 6 feedings (her diaper output is great, by the way) a day was ok because that's all my daughter really wants to eat and her jaw kinda dropped, like I was force feeding my LO. She said that if she were formula fed, they recommend cutting back to 3 feedings a day around this age.
    Has anyone ever heard that??

Edited to say: I'm in no way thinking of only feeding her 3 times a day. I worry that 6 times isn't enough for her. I just thought it was weird the doctor would act surprised and then make the comment about FF babies.
    Last edited by BootsieCollins; July 13th, 2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added something

Default Re: 3 feedings a day for a 4 month old is recommended??

3 feedings??!? No way! My dd is 7.5 mos (18.5 lbs) and has 5-6 feeds a day plus a few solids. I have read that some ppl recommend 3 feedings a day by around 7 mos, but only if you are aggresively weaning onto solid foods. I just don't think little stomachs need all that food yet.

My DD is 8 months and has 3 bottles of bm at daycare plus nurses at least 3 times at home during the week! We nurse on demand on weekends and I am not for sure how many times that is.

I seriously doubt 3 feedings a day for a 4 month old is a good thing.

I believe 5 feedings for a 4 month old is the minimum based on all the books I have (I have about 10)! My 4 month old is only 13.5 lbs (he's a little one) and only has 5 full feedings unless he's going through a growth spurt. Even at 6 months I though the minimum was 4 feedings....

Uh, no. I formula fed my first two and they never would have survived on 3 feedings a day. They were fed on demand, which worked out to every 3 hours or so (so more like 8 bottles a day? give or take). How much breastmilk do they expect you to pump into her at one sitting? Good grief.

Just feed her when she's hungry. You're doing a great job mama!
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07

There's not set rule of how often babies should eat, since they are all different. I'd say in time when they are post year 1 they may start falling into more of a breakfast, lunch, dinner routine.

Do what you feel is right. It's your baby and you know when he/she is hungry.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I think that is a ridiculous suggestion. Babies need at least 24 oz of BM (24-32oz is the general rule) a day in the first year. That means 8 oz per feeding if you cut back to 3 feedings a day. There may be some babies who can take that much per feeding but I would think that is the exception. Most babies cannot do more that 5-6 oz per feeding until they are closer to 1 year. How will a 4 month old get 24-32oz from 3 feedings? You are right in suspecting the doctor's advice, it is not good.

I'd be getting a new ped if I were you - that's ridiculous!! Good thing your Mommy skills are so great - you're doing a wonderful job!!

I agree with PP no way did my 2 ever only have 3 feeding . Babies have small tummies overstuffing just isn't healthy just think thanksgiving meals 3 times a day. Would you feel good? I think your doing great ignore that pedi and continue feeding the way your LO wants. I know as mothers we depend on or drs to know everything but, they don't and sometimes their advice is just in their opinion so follow your mama instict if i sounds wrong to you chances are it is. HTH!

BECKY

I have taken care of kids for over 10 years now. I have a been a live in nanny and a live out nanny. I have nieces and nephews and friends with kids. Never in my life have a heard of 3 feeds a day for a 4 month old. I am 25 and I eat more than 3 times a day.

I do know that formula fed babies start cereal at 4 months b/c formula no longer satisfies them. Maybe at that time they cut back a bit on the bottles, but I doubt to 3 a day.