Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mixing pumped milk

Default mixing pumped milk

Why can't freshly expressed milk be mixed with chilled breast milk? I've been doing this since I started pumping, just adding onto milk from a previous pumping session. This is the first that I've heard of this.

Default Re: mixing pumped milk

Well, I read you can do it but make sure the amount of milk of express milk you mix is not more than the one already chilled. It might be better is you chill the EBM before mixing it. I'll look more in to it, since right now I can't give a more detail answer.

I looked in some books and all I can find is that you can mix fresh EBM and frozen milk if there is less fresh milk than frozen and you chill it for 30 min, then mix it with to prevent the top layer of frozen milk from defrosting. Just follow the storage guidelines for the older milk. I didn't find anything on mixing fresh with chilled milk, but I guess the same rules apply, you don't want to be playing with the temperatures. Hope this help.

Thanks for researching. But, I can understand the reasoning in being careful to mix fresh with frozen BM since the frozen BM can defrost a little bit and then it can't be refrozen. But, I guess I don't see what the big deal is to mix fresh with chilled BM. Hope it doesn't mean that the milk is bad by mixing them. Oh well, I guess I should just stop doing it anyhow. Thanks!

I have done that too--pumped on top of older chilled milk. My thoughts have been that they say breastmilk can sit at room temperature for up to 10 hours (some say 8) so why would it be harmful? I can see that you don't want to chill and rechill over and over again, but I usually only do it once. And dd doesn't seem any worse for wear from it. I always smell the milk before serving it to dd, just to make sure, but I have never had a problem. (But then I come from a family that said if you want to drink water from the creek, do it young and you will build up a resistance to the bacteria in it, so you can see where I could be led astray!!!)

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have done this too. I don't remember how long it was before I read that you shouldn't...I never saw any negative side effects, but I did stop. I just chill the fresh milk before I pour it in with the cold milk. I also read that you shouldn't mix milk unless it is pumped in the same 24 hr period, but I'm not sure it's really a big deal. I've read so many things about how long milk is good without refrigeration. I even saw somewhere that is was good for 24 hrs.! Someone had said that they hated to waste that precious 4 ozs! I know that feeling all too well! Talk about something that is hard to replace!!! One of my co-workers wanted me to go for drinks after work one day...I used the "I'm breastfeeding" excuse (I had no desire to go anyway), and she said, "JUst pump it and throw it away!" I just was amazed...I wanted to tell her that that stuff is too precious to be thrown away...people don't realize that there is such a delicate balance in this pumping schedule! I certainly wouldn't pump and pour!