Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milk OS, but baby not getting enough through shield

Default Re: Milk OS, but baby not getting enough through shield

yes she does take the naked breast but she is picky, I can only guess what she wants and sometimes i am just sick of analyzing the situation and other times thats all I can think about, and my husband thinks I'm crazy. He just doesn't understand the need for ME to feed our little girl. I totally know what you are going through.. hang in there it will get better! Keep me updated

All have posted good suggestions, but I wanted to add one more thing my pediatrician said - the baby is more efficient at getting milk out of you than a pump is. So pumping 20 minutes and BF 20 minutes can mean totally different amounts - just keep that in mind for what it's worth. But you have to trust your instincts because no one knows more than you do about your LO. If you think she is hungry, or scared, or facial muscles tired, then you are probably right. Keep up the good work!!!!!!

I am in a similar boat (trouble latching and using shield) and wanted to offer some support. My baby went home with a shield but would not take it at first, and I ended up having to supplement with EBM. After about a week, though, he was latching on to the shield exclusively, and not he will latch on to me directly every once in a while. Sometimes, though, he goes days without a latch on to me directly and I lose hope. Then the next feeding, he will latch and I am hopeful again. He is now three weeks old, so he did take to it a bit faster than your LO, but I know that I definitely thought at one point I'd be pumping/bottle feeding for the next year or so. My LO's feedings are pretty long (at least 20 minutes each side) and usually every 2-2.5 hours. I am completely exhausted but at least my anxiety is waning about my ability to feed my baby. Remember that stress can effect milk supply.

In that first week, I felt so horrible and was so anxious about if my LO was gaining/getting enough, etc. No one but other women who have had issues BFing can understand this frustration. We all think it will be so natural and easy, and when it's not, we feel responsible. Eventually, your LO will get the hang of it. This message board has been a lifesaver for me because just learning that others are experiencing similar issues is so helpful. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by RaensMom View Post
    Thanks Carpentergirl. Good info/suggestions. I'll try pumping off some of the foremilk. Nipple trimming can't be done on my shield since it's silicone. It would leave sharp edges that can cut baby's mouth.
    I've tried 3 LC's and they were all rough. I'm done with LC's. I have been to a couple LLL meetings. The moms are great and very supportive, but none of them seem to have experienced my particular situation and so can only guess at what might help.
    I'm getting the picture that my girl might just have to nurse longer and put more effort into it. Maybe it's taking time to build up her facial muscles since bottles are so much easier. I keep telling her that if she will nurse from the naked nipple, she'd have more than she can handle. Kids...they don't listen, do they!
    Block pumping? Can you say more about that?
    Dana I'm so excited that you made it here!! How is Raen doing? She was so dang cute.

Girl, you have been through a ton! Way to go on sticking with it. It sounds like BFing is very important to you. There is not much I can add, as I'm sure you've tried it. I did notice that the bottles Raen was taking we're pretty small. Have you tried any breast shaped bottles? Perhaps this would encourage her to open up? Let me find some links... Adiri and the Breast Bottle are similar. We had a lot of success with the Playtex nurser bottles. I actually have a ton of them, and Connor wont take bottle anymore. If you would like to try them you are more than welcome to them.

My fav. leader in our area is in Edmond, maybe we could go to that group next month? She's very calm and friendly.

When Connor was little he had to nurse every two hours, around the clock, sometimes for as long as 45 minutes at a time!! That's what he needed and was okay with letting him. He got faster over time, and can now nurse both sides in under 20 minutes at 11 months. Sometimes faster! If it takes Raen a little longer, thats okay.

Stick with it girl, you're doing great. LMK when you want to get together.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Default Update: Milk OS, but baby not getting enough through shield

Guess what!?! Raen hasn't had a bottle in 9 days!! Yup, strickly breastfed now (using a nipple shield, of course). In a few days I plan to start working to try to get her off the shield. 3 months old and finally, FINALLY a breast fed baby!
    I am doing block feeding to try to get my supply down to her level of demand. It's been tough going from 60oz per day to whatever it is she eats. LOTS of plugged ducts and engorgement. I think I have lots of new stretch marks now as a result. Often I'll just spring leaks. Archs of milk shooting into the air. But it's been working. There have been a couple of nights where I haven't had to get up to pump to relieve my engorgement.

I worry that she isn't getting enough to eat though, now that I can't tell how much she is getting. She rarely nurses more than 10-15 minutes (active nursing, I mean. She'll use me as a pacifier, but I know she is not drinking much when she does that.)
    Here's her schedule..she wakes around 8 am, and will nurse a few minutes, fall asleep in my lap and nap for a half hour to 45 minutes, wake and nurse a few minutes, repeat. She does this all morning. Then she wakes for several hours in the middle of the day, maybe nurse 1-2 times 10-15 minutes each time, then fall asleep for a good long nap in the late afternoon. After a couple of hours she will wake, nurse, then nap again. She falls asleep for the night around 9 or 10pm, then will wake around 1am and 5 am to nurse. She seems to nurse a good long time in those night feedings, but I'm pretty groggy and nurse her laying down, so I can sleep. But I think it might be 20-25 minutes in those. My boobs are always full, she hardly makes a dent in them, even if I nurse on the same side for 6 hours.
    What do you think? She used to eat between 25-30 oz per day. Does it sound like she is doing ok? My partner thinks she has lost weight. She seems hydrated ok, I watch her fontanels and they look good. She has wet mucus membranes although her saliva seems thick sometimes when she drools on me in her sleep. Seems to have plenty of wet diapers (she's pooping like a champ, but it's green and stinky). We CD and yesterday she had 4 wet diapers in 8 hours. Then I quit counting, but it went on like that.
    Just seems amazing that she could get enough nursing for only 10-15 minutes at a time. Maybe she makes up for it in frequency (in the morning anyway).
    Anyway, it's heaven! EPing sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Dana I'm so excited that you made it here!! How is Raen doing? She was so dang cute.
    She gets sweeter and cuter every day.

My fav. leader in our area is in Edmond, maybe we could go to that group next month? She's very calm and friendly.
    Let's go! When is it?

Stick with it girl, you're doing great. LMK when you want to get together.
    We are ready now. She is not the best with NIP. We need practice, I guess. She pops on and off a lot to look around - and that's when it's going well. Usually she just refuses to nurse when we are out. But that's the way she goes with stuff. I wear her down, and after a while it's no problem.

So glad to hear you guys are doing so well!! Although I'm no expert, perhaps others can chime in on this... it sounds like her poop may be green due to taking in so much foremilk.

Connor usually nurses for 20 minutes total, 10 on each side. In the EARLY days of course it was much longer.

Did you make it to the BWing class? I had a laptop emergency and didn't get to make it.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

No..I up and completely forgot about the class until later that afternoon. D'oh! I'll have to find out when next month's class is.

Re: Green poop = too much foremilk
    Probably so. It's seems to be getting yellower as my supply slowly decreases. Her poop has always been green though. Maybe I've always had a fore/hind imbalance.
    Last edited by RaensMom; July 31st, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaensMom View Post
    Let's go! When is it?
    We are ready now. She is not the best with NIP. We need practice, I guess. She pops on and off a lot to look around - and that's when it's going well. Usually she just refuses to nurse when we are out. But that's the way she goes with stuff. I wear her down, and after a while it's no problem.
    Edmond's LLL group is August 8th at 9:30 AM. The last time I went there were TONS of older kids, it was a little crazy. I believe they are going to try and get a separate room for them this time though... just to warn you!

Hefner's (meeting we were at last month) is Aug 14th at 1:00 PM again. I will probably be going to both, but I'll let you know if that changes!