Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't they supposed to cover their teeth?

Default Aren't they supposed to cover their teeth?

Many of you may already know that I have been fighting the longing to wean, for several reasons, for many weeks at least. One of said main reasons is the extreme physical discomfort I have experienced since she was about 8 months old; not pain, but a terribly irritating, pinchy, annoying sensation that I have likened to her "using my nipple as a piece of chewing gum." Her latch is fine, her suction is normal, our position is the same as it ever was, and I didn't suspect her teeth at first because they were barely through... But now two are sticking out quite far, and today after the long-awaited completion of a hardly-endured nursing session, I found two deep slit-like indentations in the side of my nipple where the teeth had been digging into it the whole time.

Aren't they supposed to block their teeth from your breast with their tongue or something? I can't possibly see how breastfeeding with teeth is natural when they are scraping and digging into your breast the whole time, making it beyond uncomfortable! I have tried adjusting my breast or her lips while latched to get her tongue to stick out more, but it never works. Is this how it's supposed to be? Or is there something more I can try to finally escape the wrath of those sharp little chompers?

Default Re: Aren't they supposed to cover their teeth?

I'm going through the same with my little 14mth old!!!!!!! The top front teeth are through and I get the same marks on my nipple - they're soon to be cuts as they are now permanent red grooves. It does take away any enjoyment I had from the bf'ing. I'm feeling like quitting too even though its only the one bf at bedtime. I wonder the importance of her continuing to bf as she eats nearly all the things we eat. I feel the bf'ing is more for her comfort rather than nutrients, etc. Does a 14mth still need to nurse or can she get everything from normal food?
    Sorry to be taking over your thread here....I came across what you wrote and said YES!!! I"M NOT ALONE!!!!!!!! And here I am putting more questions out there that are probably not specific to your problem at all! Soooooorrrrrryyyyyyyy!

Abby's been doing osmething similar... with four teeth. I'm not seeing any indentations, but last week my right nipple felt like she'd been rubbing it with sandpaper instead of nursing. I found a tiny abrasion, which I treated with lanolin. We're doing better now, but I still feel her teeth off and on. I don't know what to do about it, really, but I suspect that as they get used to their teeth, they'll readjust their latches appropriately. I know that's not terribly useful but I thought I'd let you know I'm with you.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

OMG- I was going to post something about this and went to "new posts" first and booop- here you are!

My DS bit me this weekend and it hurt so much. He has sort of bitten in the past but not like this. The worst part is that I know he is not doing it intentionally- usually happens when he falls asleep and is unlatching-. What was different about this bite was that aftermath. It still hurts to nurse on that side and I feel reluctant to pump because I know it will hurt too. In fact both nipples hurt at this point and I haven't had that problem thus far (ds is 7 months).

Anyone have any remedies for making them feel better? SOrry to jump on your post too! But it's nice to know I am not the only one out there wincing in pain!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I know exactly what you're talking about!!

I posted something similar in the Breastfeeding Beyond One forum. The thread is called Teeth Issues (or soemthing like that). I don't know how to do the handy clicky link thing, but I just posted it last weeks so it should still be on the first page. Anyway, they said it was called scraping and gave me a couple of links to sites that have suggestions for fixing it.

I've found that if I move Nora's head in toward the center of my body it helps. What I mean is if she's on the right boob, I shift her whole body to my left. It makes her head tilt back a little and relieves the pressure of her teeth resting on the top of my nipple.

It doesn't always work, sometimes I have to keep moving her around until I find the right spot, but I can usually find it. Thank goodness, I wouldn't be able to stand it for much longer.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

“We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Does a 14mth still need to nurse or can she get everything from normal food?
    Some people may disagree, but it is to my understanding that a child over 12 months can get all the nutrients they need without formula or breast milk, especially if your little one is eating everything you eat! I read that when a LO takes 16-20 ounces of cow's milk daily in addition to 3 solids meals daily, "they can be considered successfully weaned." Of course I think that includes snacks & juice, too, etc, at least it would in our case.

My DS bit me this weekend and it hurt so much. He has sort of bitten in the past but not like this. The worst part is that I know he is not doing it intentionally- usually happens when he falls asleep and is unlatching-.
    S does the exact same thing when she actually bites. Usually the entire nursing session is mild continuous scraping, but when she does bite down it's just like your description.

Paige, I have never heard of it before, but automatically had attempted the body shifting thing you mentioned. To no avail. I do it every time without relief

Thanks gals, for your help and understanding!
    Last edited by JustSasha; July 30th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

One thing your LO cannot get without breastmilk are all the great immune factors from mama's milk. And, your LO's immune system is only about 60% developed at a year. Just something to keep in mind as you make your decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    One thing your LO cannot get without breastmilk are all the great immune factors from mama's milk. And, your LO's immune system is only about 60% developed at a year. Just something to keep in mind as you make your decisions...
    If this is for babyjane, I'd like to add for her that yeah, that's a big one for me! I probably would have lost the battle by now if it weren't for knowing she's getting immunities & antibodies through BM. Though BM is not absolutely necessary at 12 months+, it's so very beneficial. I will probably totally wean at around 12 months but I wouldn't have made it this far without knowing she's getting that good stuff. It's always best to make a decision after gathering as much info as you can and contemplating it, but if you do decide to wean remember that 14 months is a long time and a great accomplishment!

My 9 month old did the same thing but it didn't last that long really. For a while there I was dreading nursing him but he just stopped doing it. I really think he was just teething. So good luck with whatever decision you make.