Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cows milk and breast milk

Default Cows milk and breast milk

I'm not sure where to post this - so I'll go ahead and try here.

DD is 12 1/2 months old and we are going to go ahead and introduce cows milk. She is still nursing like 7-8 times a day and I want to cut out a few nursing sessions (not wanting to wean).

So I was told by the DCP to mix BM and cows milk as first to get DD used to the taste. Then slowly make the cows milk more cows milk until that is all it is.

Has anyone heard of this or done this? I would like to give her one sippy cup of cows milk a day for now. Is it better just to make it all cows milk right off the bat?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cows milk and breast milk

I think each child would respond differently. My son wouldn't take cow's milk alone at first so I had to mix. Try to offer it and see what reaction you get.

I just went ahead and did it. I gave him milk in a sippie cup and he loved it. I never pumped, so he wasn't used to getting breast milk unless he was nursing. He started getting noticably upset when I'd pour a drink for my daughter and fuss until he got some as well :-).

Aaron didn't like the mixed milk. Go ahead and experiment with different things- warmer milk, chilled milk, mixed 3/4 bm with 1/4 cows or 1/2 bm with 1/2 cow's etc- you may find that something works for your LO.

With Aaron, I tried all of these things first mixed, which went over like a lead balloon, then plain whole milk warm and then I tried chilled. It wasn't until I gave him regular cold cow's milk that he would drink it. Actually, I also discovered that I couldn't call it "milk". To Aaron, "milk" is mama milk. So I call it "cow juice". Once I started giving him cold milk and calling it "cow juice" it's been no problem!

HTH!

That is great - I love the "cow juice." I know when I say "milk" DD associated that with nursing.

She is used to getting EBM while at day care - but I next to never give her a bottle at home.

I'll play around and see.

Thanks!

At 12 months, we did 1/3 WCM to 2/3 MM the first time. My twins both did fine -- didn't mind the taste and tolerated it well. So next time they got 2/3 WCM to 1/3 MM. Again, no problem, so thereafter they got WCM by itself by the 3rd day, or MM by itself. I would not suggest giving a lot of WCM the first time out, just in case DC has a reaction to cow dairy.

(In case they didn't finish a bottle/cup, I wouldn't mind throwing out the WCM, but I would hate to have to waste my MM if it were mixed w WCM, so we never mixed them after they proved they'd drink either by itself. If they didn't finish my MM it went eventually into the fridge. That doesn't happen much since I don't pump much and they like it so much.)

As for what to put it in, my twins are 15 months, and they are only now getting the hang of sippie cups. They clearly prefer all milk warmed, but will drink it cool.

I didn't want to take the risk of having to toss out my MM, so I never mixed. My dd took cold WCM without any problems, but she was at daycare and when she turned 1 they introduced the cow's milk. When they did it though they tried it warm with her and she wouldn't drink. She would only drink it very cold, but when naptime came around she only wanted the bottle of EBM, but that had to be very warm...body temp warm. Each child is different though. I personally wouldn't advise mixing because after a certain point, if you're working, your supply will go down and at that point your milk becomes more valuable than gold.
    Tanya
    Wife to Brandon since 10/14/2003
    Mommy to Erin, my know-it-all preteen, since 7/03/1996.
    Mommy to Katrina, my adventurous toddler, since 7/29/2005.
    Mommy to Connor, my "little man," since 4/22/2007.

Life can be hectic, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

We gave her some regular old WCM (cold) last night in a sippy cup and she drank it. No problems! We gave her about 1-2 ounces and she seemed to like it.

I have been pumping 3 x a day at work since DD was 6 weeks (now is 12 1/2 months) and well - I'm just tired of pumping. I'm totally fine with nursing at home but want to wean the pumping. So I am totally relieved she likes the WCM. I am going to start pump weaning until I do not have to pump at work any longer. Hopefully by the end of the summer.

THANKS!

heres a good link from kelly mom about milk and toddlers
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk