Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really trying to keep this up..not getting much support it seems...

Unhappy Really trying to keep this up..not getting much support it seems...

This is my third try at b/feeding. I was unable to the first two times, basically because I had very little support at the start and gave up. So this time, with baby #3, I am determined. Even after having to wean her OFF of formula due to some issues she had at birth.

I am working now, I have a great pump and all that. But I missed some signals of her wanting more it seems and at her four month checkup on July 5th, her weight was low. I explained to the nurse that I felt like the baby wanted more and I didn't trust my own intuition. I felt really bad and she told me to go ahead and increase the amount I was feeding her and see if it helps. We are supposed to go back on the 19th for a "re-weigh", but I am terrified that it will still not be enough of a gain and that they may tell me to quit b/feeding and switch to formula.

Since I am working, hubby is home with the kids and he is very supportive, my job is okay with me pumping (I have an office, so I just close the door). I was looking for ideas to increase her weight, etc... But I feel like I am hearing "stop b/feeding" from others outside of hubby. I know the doctor's first concern is the health of the baby, but I really want to continue b/feeding, seeing as how I have never been able to keep it up this long. It really helps me bond with her when I am home (I only b/feed when I am home...no bottles at all).

Any suggestions? So far I have been feeding her like crazy and made sure to increase how much milk she gets when I am at work. Drinking lots of fluids and all...anything else I can do?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Really trying to keep this up..not getting much support it seems...

this forum is a great place to find help and meet wonderful people!

What was her weight at her check-up? How is her diaper output (lots of wet diapers?) just wanted to get a bit more information.

to me it sounds like you are doing everything right. I dont know your little ones weight, but I dont think you should question yourself. You are providing your child with the best nutrition. hang in there. Do you have a freezer stash? can your husband use extra from that if you have one??

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Smile Re: Really trying to keep this up..not getting much support it seems...

How much does she weigh? Sometimes doctors use the formula weight standard which isn't ideal when weighing a BF baby. Also, "low weight" is really a subjective thing. Some babies are just small yet perfectly healthy. (Mothers of small babies, please chime in here!)

If you feel that baby is healthy, hydrated, alert, hitting milestones, and soiling her diapers, then trust that more than a number on a scale. Have confidence in yourself. You are doing the very best thing you can for your baby by breastfeeding! The fact that you have the strength to BF and pump and work and mother shows that you are a great mama!

If I recall correctly the weight was about 10 lbs and some change....She was 6 lbs, 11 oz at birth. I stupidly didn't make a freezer stash. Wish I had now...don't know when I would be able to do that now. She has plenty of weight diapers during the day and all that. It seems the only problem was the weight from what I can tell.

I have been thinking of trying to get "ahead" one weekend but I have the hardest time trying to figure out when to pump if I am feeding her every three or so hours. Do I do it in between feeding or let her sleep through a feeding (which is harder the older she gets)?

Both of my babies are low on the range scale my 16-month-old son was weaned at 7 months to formula and he dropped on the scale so in my opinion he lost weight when we made the switch and we had to do that because I was pregnant and my milk supply dried up. Breast milk is definitely the healthier and if the doctor seems to think that formula might bulk up her weight don't completely stop breast feeding. You could try mixing the formula with her normal bottles that are given during the day. But if your milk is increasing to keep up with her needs I wouldn't worry too much....just make sure that she's getting enough, she'll certainly let you know if she's still hungary

what you could do for a couple of weekends is feed her only on one side and pump the other while you're nursing her....it may mean a few more feedings for the day but it will also signal your body to make more milk and that will definitely put you ahead on the stash.

When you say wet diapers do you mean soaked (disposoble) ones? Mine get about 7 wet diapers in an 24 hr period and I only get two soaked ones....
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Honestly, I would have to ask hubby if they are soaked or not since he is at home with her all day. I know when I come home, I get at least one soaked before she goes to bed. On weekends/days off..I see about the same number, 1 or 2 soaked ones. As sad as it sounds, hubby is bad about throwing the diapers in the pail or the kitchen garbage. They usually end up in the bathroom trash can, because he passes that first, so I can always tell how many were used that day. LOL

Okay I will try that. Other than taking the oldest to see Harry Potter this weekend, I have no plans, so this weekend may be perfect for me to do that. I was taking the baby with me anyway...I hear the movie is long and I don't want the baby to have to take a bottle or miss a feeding. She is actually a happy baby...rarely cries unless she is hungry or has a really yucky diaper.

I was in your situation with my daughter at her 4 week checkup.

Here's some food for thought:

Is she still in the 5-95 percentile? As long as she's not below the 5th percentile, and is still gaining, I wouldn't worry too much right away, but that is just me. All babies are different, and you have to keep in mind that the percentile charts and such can sometimes include babies who are formula fed as well as breast fed, and there is a difference in the charts between the two. Also, scales can differ slightly so if she's not being weighed on the same scale every time, the weight they record could be a little off.

My daughter was born 7lbs 14oz. She dropped to 7lbs 3oz when I was released 4 days later (c-section). At her 4 week checkup she was 7lbs 10oz. She always seemed content after a bottle (I exclusively pump) and she had good diaper output. The doc told me to up her from 2 oz breastmilk to 3. When I expressed a concern about keeping up with her he told me I should supplement with formula 1-2 times a day, and use the milk I pumped at those sessions to build up a stash (I had told him I was working on a stash as well and was concerned about keeping up with her).

I grit my teeth and decided I'd give her formula only when I ran out of milk. I went from pumping 2-3 oz a session to 3-6 in short order. I started her out at 3 oz, then after a few days tried 3.5 to see how she took that. She loved the 3.5. Shortly after that, I upped her to 4 and let her take as much as she wanted. She took the whole thing. Now we offer her 4 oz bottles every time she seems hungry and let her take as much as she wants. This is the closest I can get to what it'd be like if she was breast feeding directly from me.

When we went in at 6 weeks for a re-weigh, she was 9lbs even. She was back up in the 30-33 percentile, which was where she was when she was born, and the doc was happy.

So hang in there momma! Try not to stress when you pump (and find a really comfy chair that you don't slouch in, trust me it makes all the difference in the world).

If you're concerned about having enough try adding in another pumping session or two. Your breasts will catch the message soon and start producing more.