Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to feed 4 month old?

Default How often to feed 4 month old?

My husband thinks I feed our LO too much....it's hard for me to read any hunger cues (esp. since he sucks on his hands/fists all the time) so I just try to feed him whenever I feel he might be hungry. Sometimes its an hour and a half after the last feeding, sometimes it's 3 hours. He only nurses for 5-10 minutes at a time so I worry he is not getting enough so I feed him often.

Default Re: How often to feed 4 month old?

sound normal.. babies need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the milk they need for weight gain....
    tell him not to bug you about it anymore, or you'll hand the baby to him.

lol andrea you always know what to say!!
    I agree that sounds VERY normal. My 6 month old eats that way. I really dont think its possible to feed them too much because they would probably spit up if they've had too much to eat.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I have the same thing going on with my (almost) 4 month old. He seems to eat only a little each time I feed him, so I feed him pretty often. I guess thats normal?

Yep Samething with my almost 4 month old too. She eats whenever and about 5 minutes a feeding. She is very happy and healthy and thats all that matters.

My 4 month old eats mostly on a scheduled basis - 3.5 hours apart except during growth spurts. He's not a big snacker and goes for full meals that's probably why. Every babies different!

Ha! I've thought the same thing. All of a sudden he's an expert at breastfeeding?
    I just try to follow my instinct and I figure if he's not hungry, he won't eat. Glad to know that all of you with babies the same age are going through the same thing!

Exactly. If he's not hungry, he's not going to eat. And if he eats to much, he will probably just spit it back up. Better he "eats too often" than not often enough, anyway.

Sounds perfect to me. That's the same schedule my *almost* 6 month old still keeps.
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07

My LO is not eating every 3.5 to 4 hours now and he'll be 6 month on the 28th. He's more on schedule during the week while I'm at work, but on the weekends I offer my breasts more, but generally he'll feed as I described above. He now takes like 15 minutes total for both sides. What a change from the early months!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com