Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 year old wants to breastfeed, should i let her?

Default Re: 6 year old wants to breastfeed, should i let her?

I'm curious as to what the response would be if you asked, "Why would you like to try it?"
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My mom just recently told me about when I did this same thing when my little brother was born. I was about 5 years old and asked her while she was nursing Brett if I could too. She said "sure." So, I tentatively inched towards her breast, pursed my lips (obviously, it had been a couple years since I had nursed last since I didn't know to open wide to latch any more ), and then ......

started laughing hysterically. I backed away satisfied, and never asked again.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

That's hilarious, Annie. I always said when dd would do that in the early days (pursing the lips, not laughing hysterically) that she was trying to kiss the milk out of my breast

Quote Originally Posted by Evin
    That's hilarious, Annie. I always said when dd would do that in the early days (pursing the lips, not laughing hysterically) that she was trying to kiss the milk out of my breast
    Too cute!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I actually can remember doing this as a child. I'm guessing I was around 5, and I asked my mom if I could try it while my little brother was nursing. I could tell she wasn't very thrilled about the idea but said to go ahead. So, I took one small taste and thought - YUCK!!!!! I don't think I ever asked again.

My son is 6yrs old, and I have a 7 month old daughter who I am nursing. He was having a tough day once while she was nursing, so I asked him if he thought that he needed some booby too. His response was.......

"But I don't know how to do that mom!!!!"

It really cracked me up, and he never seemed to want that kind of attention again. He knows that the boobies are for sissy, and it's how she eats.

my 6 year old will "nurse" from either my elbow or shoulder while his little brother nurses. i offered both breast and ebm in cup when he asked me if he could have some, he declined both, but now he just uses other parts of my body. i do agree that it is all for attention, and that is fine. we probably look really silly sitting on the couch with the baby on breast and my 6 year old on the shoulder, sucking and all!!! lol