Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old wants to breastfeed, should i let her?

Default 6 year old wants to breastfeed, should i let her?

My son is 10 months old and i've had success in breastfeeding him. My daughter is 6 and not breastfed. with her, i didn't know what i was doing and had no support. i was in the Army overseas when i had her. since i've been breastfeeding my son, she sometimes asks me if she can have some milk. i let her taste some once while we were showering because i was engorged and the milk was squirting out. so when she asked one day while i was breastfeeding my son, i told her no, but i felt bad about it. i really regret not breastfeeding her. should i allow her to breastfeed even though she has never done it before? or is she just jealous of the baby? i actually tried to give her expressed BM, but she didn't want it. is there something that i can say that won't make her feel jealous? i don't want her to feel like i love him more or anything like that.

Default Re: 6 year old wants to breastfeed, should i let her?

Nicholas asked to nurse after Landon was born. He self-weaned at 25 1/2 months and we've always talked about nursing and we started talking about how the baby would nurse after he was born. When Landon was born, Nicholas was watching one day and asked to nurse. I told him I would be glad to pump some for him but that my breasts were only for the baby now. I did not feel comfortable letting my almost 6 year old nurse since he had been weaned for so long. I just explained that while he was welcome to share my milk, he would have to drink it out of a cup since my breasts were for Landon now. I told him that he was more than welcome to snuggle anytime he wanted because my arms were for all of my kids all the time. I also told him that the baby wasn't allowed to use his cups they were only for "big boys" like him. Since Nicholas has always been my snuggler, I made sure to have DH take Landon so I could just sit and snuggle with Nicholas and read a book or practice his spelling words. Emphasize what she is able to do that the baby isn't since she is a big girl. There are things that the baby can have that she can't (your breasts) but there also things she is allowed to have that the baby can't. Just lavish some extra attention on her to make her feel extra special and really play up the "big girl" activities she can do.

If you don't feel comfortable letting her nurse, don't let her. If you feel comfortable, let her do it. There is no right or wrong answer. It is whatever you are comfortable with.

Pam

She may just be curious. My oldest once asked if he could nurse too (he was about 2 or 3 at the time) so I said, "Sure, come here." His eyes got as big as silver dollars, his mouth gaped open and he screamed "No!" at me and took off running, lol. He never asked again.

I think he just wanted to see if I'd let him, lol.

I agree with the above poster - if you are comfortable with it, then go for it. It's completely up to you and there's nothing wrong with allowing your daughter to try it.

My daughter was BF for a few months only but when my second one was borned she wanted too. At first I didn't want too but after she insisted so much I let her, she doesn't know how to get milk out and she only got to taste a little bit and for the look on her face she didn't like it but she kept asking. I think she just want extra attention, so I try to keep her busy doing other stuff when I'm BF, and just let her now how especial she's to me and how much I love her. She haven't ask for awhile and hopefully she doesn't, although I wanted to start that BF relationship again, I don't think is going to work. I agree with the posts above too, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Thanks!! i'm glad there are others who experienced that too. thanks so much for the comments.

mama2two: in the end, what did you deside to do?

i ask this because i have a 5 year old daughter and am trying to become pregnant, and if this comes up and she asks me, which aparently is not uncommon, i would like to know what other people have done, and be able to give a responce to my daughter. thank you

well... it's true that she just wanted extra attention. once, when she asked, i said ok, and she got so close - but when my son realized what she was about to do he started screaming. she thought that was funny and kept teasing him like that, but never put her mouth on my breast. i offered it to her in a cup, but she doesn't want it. just like Pam said above, i just had to remind her that there are things she can do that the baby can't, and with that, she can't do all the things the baby does. i guess it's hard to go from having your full attention to having anything less. i'm the youngest, so i wouldn't know how that feels. but i could imagine it feels crummy. sometimes i take her out, and we have our "girl time."

i hope i answered your question.. good luck with getting pregnant.. now i'm kinda curious to see what your daughter will do.

My 9 yo showed a lot of interest in my milk. I offered to put some in a cup for her. I also told her that she better say it was gross because that would hurt my feelings. She decided not to go through with it. I think she might have tasted a drop of milk though. I took it as a jealous thing. She is very much a mama's girl. The interest in my milk is gone now. I must say I am kind of glad too.

Kara

My 6-yo girl too asked if she could nurse when she saw her baby brother nursing. I felt awkward, I didn't say no, but I didn't offer her either. I think I just looked puzzled. LOL.

She knows she too was breastfed and later when I told her now the milk is for her brother, if she nurses, brother won't have enough. She seems to agree and has never asked to nurse again. However sometimes she drinks what's left in the bottle baby can't finish. And she said it's Yummy! lol.