Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding, Caffeine,Alcohol, and hyperactive milk production

Wink Re: Breastfeeding, Caffeine,Alcohol, and hyperactive milk production

Hi there,

I just wanted to add my support, and say that many many women (myself included) would not want to bring this up at a LLL meeting LOL.

I however have and do drink alcohol in moderation, and I also drink caffeine.
    Obviously when a baby is newborn it is best to limit drinking to only one (b/c you shouldn't be handling a newborn in a buzzed or drunken state, besides giving him/her milk with alcohol) but as they get older and sleep through the night having two before bed really isn't that big a deal in my book. Sticking with beer and wine would be most prudent, as the amt. of alcohol in those beverages isn't that high.

I have actually read differing accts. on how alcohol enters the mother's milk, and the one that I think makes the most sense to me is that the mother bears the brunt of the effects of the alcohol in her liver, and doesn't deliver much to her baby. Have there been any studies of babies whose mother's ingest alcohol before a feeding? Who would submit to such testing, and tell the world that they drink and breastfeed LOL? ;0) Anyway I think one or two is fine, based upon my experiences.

HUGS

Kris with Jake 10/12/05 and former nursling Justin 11/15/01 (nursed for 3 years 1 month)

Default Re: Breastfeeding, Caffeine,Alcohol, and hyperactive milk production

Quote Originally Posted by Leche83
    As for the alcohol... How many servings do you consider two bottles of beer? If I were to drink that while she's asleep for the night, would it be out of my system by the morning? Today for example... Last night I ate dinner and drank two glasses of beer right after she went to bed. Then I went to bed a couple hours later. Approx. 10 1/2 hours later she woke up and I fed her. But she did seem unusually sleepy looking after I fed her one breast, then the other breast an hour later.
    The alcohol would definately have been out of your system if you only had two glasses and it was 10 1/2 hours later. Generally, it takes 1-2 hours for one drink to get out of your system, so 2 drinks would take 2-4 hours. There is no way you still had alcohol in your system after 10 1/2 hours; she probably seemed sleepy due to your breastmilk which has a naturally sedative effect on babies.
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; January 20th, 2006 at 04:17 PM.

The cheapest way of pumping that I know of is using your own hands, called hand expressing. Many mothers are uncomfortable with this idea at first, but once it is tried and once the technique is mastered, it's a quick, cheap and very effective way of expressing milk. Nothing to sterilise either! Here's a description with pictures: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    Beth

Here's some links on KellyMom. Yes, studies have been done on alcohol and breastfeeding.

Lifestyle Choices

Moderation! and good luck!

Moderation is the key. One beer or glass of wine is fine while breastfeeding.

I personally had a cup of coffee each morning and a diet pepsi later in the day while breastfeeding.

Some babies may not do well with caffeine and many babies have not problems when mom drinks it.

Gauge for yourself how your baby reacts.