Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Color

Default Nipple Color

The tips of my nipples occasionally appear white, or colorless after bf. Is this b/c of LOs sukling or something else?

i

Default Re: Nipple Color

Mine too, I just assumed this was normal. They go back to pink after a few minutes though, do yours?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

This is generally a latch problem. Do you have OALD? Sometimes LOs will clamp down while nursing to help control the flow of milk. If you're having pains, it could be vasospasms, which I believe has something to do with your circulation also.

That's called nipple blanching. It's generally indicative of a shallow latch.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

As is mentioned in that link, it could also be something more significant called Raynaud's Phenomenon, but that's less likely.

wow,
    i too thought it was normal i mostly pump bevause of nipple pain and my nipples are white thhen slowly go back to pink. they are always sore somtimes unbearingly! my ob treeated me for thrush over the phone

There is no pain in the nipple or breast, so maybe it is just circulation... but I do think I have OALD.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Mine too, I just assumed this was normal. They go back to pink after a few minutes though, do yours?
    Yes! Mine do go back to pink after a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    That's called nipple blanching. It's generally indicative of a shallow latch.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

As is mentioned in that link, it could also be something more significant called Raynaud's Phenomenon, but that's less likely.
    A LC told me the same thing but said some latches can not be corrected. I have "short and flat" nipples and thus my LO has a shallow latch. She gets plenty of milk but she had to "learn" that what I was putting in her mouth was really a nipple inthe begining. I do not have any pain and the color returns in a few minutes after nursing (or pumping - yes, my pump has a shallow latch too).
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; July 12th, 2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo - nak
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Marymud---
    Was just reading this thread and saw you mentioned "milk donating." Tell me more...I'm nursing my 3m.o. who is sleeping great at night so I pump every morning and have scads of milk and I'm thinking...what in the world do I do with it? What's the story with milk donation?
    Sorry, I'm sure this isn't appropriate place for this question....
    BTW, I'm "flat" too and have white tips after nursing, I thought it b/c my girl was sucking so well!! Who knew! (:

my areole and nipples were gorgeous chocolate brown before my son arrived. now i joke tha he's sucked all the color from my nipples because they're now bright pink!